Problem with Smithwicks clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jefferym09

Reaction score
I brewed an Irish red, Smithwicks clone, but i had to sub a decent amount of ingredients out because my LHBS was lacking what i needed. its only been 4 days, but My OG was 1.048 and its down to 1.011 already. the taste is very... well not good, hard to explain. bitter, unpleasently so. Not very malty at all, smell is not good, but not sulfery. i dont know maybe im jumping to conclusions because its only been 3 days, perhaps there's still plenty of yeast suspended and its affecting the flavor? Heres the recipe, is there anything here that stands out as somthing i should not have done?

7 lbs. 2-row pale malt
.36 lbs roasted barley (300° Lovibond)
.45 lbs oz. flaked barley
.60 lbs melanoidin malt

1 lbs. Karo light corn syrup (omitted because LHBS did not have it)
4 AAU East Kent Goldings: 0.7 oz. (60 min)
5 AAU Fuggles hops: 1 oz. (FO)
1 whirlflock tablet (15 mins)
Irish Ale Yeast (Wyeast 1084) (Had to sub US-04)

primary temp stayed around 66-69, but dropped to 64 after 3 days, which is when i took a reading and saw it had reach 1.011...

Give it time, its really early to judge the beer yet. The flavor of the beer after four days is going to be pretty different than it will be after a few weeks.

I agree that the beer at four days will be way different than it will be when it's actually finished. Why are you tasting it at four days anyway? Just let it do its thing!

I'm not surprised that a homebrew shop doesn't carry corn syrup. Go to the grocery store for that. Even if the LHBS did carry it, it would most likely be cheaper at the grocery store. In hindsight, though, you probably could have checked to see how many gravity points the pound of corn syrup would have added and substituted plain old sugar for it. That said, I don't think I've seen a recipe that calls for corn syrup...

As for the 1084, S-04 is a reasonable substitute, but the final product will differ a bit from what you had originally intended. No big deal, and this definitely wouldn't be the cause of off flavors after four days...

Back