Problem with Secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theganda

Reaction score
I just racked my bavarian wheat into a secondary because I wanted to add some orange. But I didn't realize until afterwards that I was using the wrong size fermenter as a secondary. I put 5 gallons into my other 6 gallon better bottle and am really worried about oxidation. I know this is in theory a huge problem, has anyone ever had this really screw their beer? Is there anything I can do at this point? Cross my fingers? Thanks.

I'm pretty new at this too, but if it's still fermenting at all, then from what i've read you should be okay because of the Co2 that will take up that space and help limit the oxidation. I think I read that in The Complete Joy of Homebrewing. Also worth nothing is that I now have my 5 gallon batch in a 5 gallon secondary glass carboy and with what volume you loose in the primary it doesn't make it up into where the neck starts to thin anyway (so you're working with the same surface area of exposure)...

All my fermenters (which can be a secondary) are 6 gal, no problems. The surface area of a 5gal vs a 6gal is minimal, the CO2 coming out of solution will protect your beer. :mug:

Back