Problem with Boiling in a Tall thin pot?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brew-in

Reaction score
Hi,

Long story but I am considering as a boil kettle a tall thin pot. 12 gallon pot but only 13 inches in diameter. I will only be boiling 5 gallon batches.

Should this taller thinner kettle be a problem?

I notice the grain father has about the same dimensions of my boiling kettle.

Thanks

Well, no, not really. Tall, thin pots have less surface area, and that means you'll have less water evaporation than a fat wide pot. I suppose fat wide pots are somewhat easier to clean. Would it be easier to whirlpool in a fat wide pot than a skinny tall one? Um...I guess so? I've never whirlpooled, so I don't know.

The only other thing I could think of that would be different is the amount of heat required to get a good boil going. Would it be easier to boil? Harder? The same? Someone with a good understanding of thermal dynamics could answer this. But on a homebrew scale...I doubt it would make much of a difference.

Wont make a difference. Less surface area = less heat loss, easier to boil. But at scale, does it matter? Doubt it.

Skinny pots are nice for mash tuns and not having to worry as much about grain depth etc.

Scorching the wort would be the only issue I can see. It may take s little longer to boil per less area in contact with the burner. Use it.

Back