Problem with AHS specialty grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

puravida286

Reaction score
So I just got my ingredients to do my first original IPA recipe and I have a slight problem with my grain. I ordered 1lb of Crystal 20L and 8oz of Carapils and asked for the grain to be "milled". Now I thought that meant they would crush the grain for me and ship it in a muslin bag for steeping...but what I have here is a big plastic bag of uncrushed grain. I suppose I am forced to do a mini-mash (which I have never done before) but doesn't the grain have to be crushed before it is mashed? What should I do with this bag of whole grain to get the best use out of it?

Sounds like they mixed up your order. If you asked to have it milled and it came whole, you'll have to mill it or crush it before you can use it. Call 'em up and ask. Maybe they'll just send you a replacement order properly milled.

And, btw, they wouldn't put it in a muslin bag for you. They'd probably ship it to you in a plastic bag. You need to buy a grain bag (or make one) and load it up yourself. Buy a couple of different sizes of reusable nylon grain bags and use them over and over.

Take a closer look, the grain might have been crushed. It isn't going to look like flour, just broken grains. If they messed up, get out your rolling pin & crush the grain. All you need to do is break the grain in half and crack the hulls.

Ok, the hulls are cracked...I thought it might just look a bit more ground up than this. Can I use a nylon stocking as a grain bag? The kits that I have bought off AHS before have given me a muslin bag so I thought they might include one with individual grain orders but I guess that was just wishful thinking.

P.S. sorry to post in the AG/Partial Mash section, I thought I might have to do a mini-mash but I guess I'll just steep

Nylons, maybe. Pantyhose, never.

Actually, I'm partial to the fishnets with the seam in the back.

..........OK, I'll shut up

Back