Priming sugar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ericmunley

Reaction score
I'm making a chocolate stout and transferring it to secondary tonight. Do I rack the beer on the priming sugar now even though it will be sitting for a few weeks or should I wait?

no, not yet. you don't add the priming sugar until right before you bottle the beer...like minutes before you bottle.
if you add the priming sugar now, the yeast will ferment it in the secondary and there will be none left by the time you bottle.

thanks Lou....would I then add the priming sugar on top of the secondary right before i bottle?

thanks Lou....would I then add the priming sugar on top of the secondary right before i bottle?

You'll need to rack to a priming container. The secondary will have some sediment in the bottom, and you don't want that going into your bottles. A bottling bucket with a spigot is ideal, then you can just connect your bottle filler to the spigot and off you go.

Try to find Revvy's thread about bottling in the bottling/kegging section. That will tell you everything you need to know.

Back