priming a wit in the keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spokaniac

Reaction score
I kegged a wit (AHS blue moon clone) last Sunday. OG was 1.053, FG 1.012
I used the priming sugar that came with the kit, which I poured into the sanitized keg, then racked the beer on top of it. Then before sealing the keg, I hooked up my bottling wand to a short picnic tap to bottle a 12 pack (for sharing/trading/saving). Sealed the keg and set it in the corner to condition.

When I checked on it last night using the short picnic tap to draw a little off, it came gushing out. Grabbed a pint glass and tried to fill it twice and got 2 glasses of foam with maybe 1/4 inch of liquid in the bottom. Should I vent off the pressure in the keg to settle it down? I know it should take another week or two to finish conditioning, but it already seems to be at a fairly high pressure. I did get some yeast sucked off the bottom of the fermenter when racking it since the WLP400 did not form a very tight cake. Could that be causing it to ferment harder, giving me the higher pressure?

I did the same thing with my last batch, a stout, and that method worked really well.

If the kit was meant to be bottled, then that was probably a 5oz or so packet of corn sugar. That could have been a little much, you can usually use a little less when carbing in a keg vs. bottling. Also, is the keg still at room temperature? The warm temperature will cause more gas to come out of solution, chill it before drawing off.

It just seems that it is building up a lot of pressure for just being in for a few days. A lot more than the stout I did last month.

On the bright side it is tasting pretty good, little heavy on the orange still but that should fade as it finishes up.

Back