Primary yeast benefits and big beers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hal simmons

Reaction score
Brewed a 1.093 Barleywine 9 days ago. Target final gravity was 1.025. Pitched two packs of rehydrated Nottingham. Fermentation temps have been a tad on the high side, between 68-72 most of the week. Fermentation has been pretty vigorous, but since it's slowed down considerably the last few days I figured i'd check the gravity. Since it's only been 9 days I was expecting to still be a little high. To my surprise it's actually down to 1.016 already. It tasted a little thinner than expected, but not too bad. I did notice a pretty strong hot alcohol taste.

Since i'm planning on putting this in a secondary for 1-2 months, is there any problem with just racking it over now? Fermentation is done, and it's already lower than expected. I know there's benefit in leaving the beer on the yeast cake to clean up after itself, so I don't want to rack too soon. Should I leave in in primary another couple weeks then transfer? Or go ahead and get it into the secondary and let it sit?

Hi,
I don't see any big disadvantage in moving it after 9 days - that should be enough.

Cheers,
Brad

82% attenuation is extremely good for a barleywine, although the hot alcohol flavors are a concern. I say rack it. You can always add some maltodextrine later for more body.

82% attenuation is extremely good for a barleywine, although the hot alcohol flavors are a concern. I say rack it. You can always add some maltodextrine later for more body.

What would be a recommended amount of maltodextrine considering the situation? I'm assuming I can just disolve it in a bit if water and add it to the secondary when I rack it? It's a 5.5 gallon batch which will be closer to 5 gallons once I transfer to secondary.

No BIG disadvantage but the yeast will do some clean up after they finish the ferment. Plus given a couple more weeks there will be that much more sediment that falls out into your primary rather than the secondary.
I usually leave my big beers in the primary for a month then transfer to the secondary for long term aging. My smaller beers just get 3-4 weeks in the primary.

Craig

Back