Primary to Secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arcticbrew

Reaction score
I've got my first batch fermenting right now, and I'm already concocting my second batch once this is finished. I'm not really feeling that adventurous to go into a true beer, so I'm planning on a boxed wheat beer that I'll add Apricots to in the secondary fermenter.

My question concerning this process, I've been told (and confirmed on this forum) that whenever fermentables are added, to add more yeast. After adding the new yeast, should I also aerate the wort as I did when going from the BK to the primary?

My first (inexperienced) thought, it'll release more CO than might be necessary or wanted, so it seems like a bad idea.

Thanks!
AB

I'll defer to more experienced members, but I don't think you need to add any more yeast. There should be plenty of yeast still in your beer, even after you rack to secondary. As for aerating it, I'm pretty sure that you don't want to do that. Aerating your beer after fermentation causes some pretty bad flavors.

I wouldnt add any more yeast. Also you wont be picking up that many gravity points by adding fruit.

I would add the fruit to the secondary, and just rack on top of it. I wouldnt add anything or aerate in any way.

I'm just going to jump on the pile here and also tell you that you do not need to add more yeast and you DEFINITELY DO NOT want to aerate your beer post-fermentation. One of the biggest beer killers is oxidation - once you pitch your yeast, you want to keep oxygen as far from your beer as you possibly can.

Does no additional yeast also hold true for purée?

Thanks for the answers, you've been extremely helpful.

Does no additional yeast also hold true for purée?

Thanks for the answers, you've been extremely helpful.

No additional yeast is needed, even if you are going to add fruit puree. There is plenty of yeast in suspension and they will have no problem fermenting any fermentable sugars introduced - regardless of form.

Normally,when gravity goes up beyond,say OG1.065,you start thinking about using more yeast at the start. There are on line calculators for determining the proper amount of yeast to pitch.

Back