Primary Fermenter without Airlock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

baileybrewer

Reaction score
I'm brewing my first batch of beer ever: Coopers IPA.

I somehow forgot to put my beer into my glass carboy for the primary fermentation, so it is currently fermenting in my bottling bucket (with the lid not sealed tightly). It is now on the 7th day of fermenting and the SG is currently at 1.024 down from an OG of 1.034. The bubble of fermentation have now died down almost completely.

I've read a lot about how secondary fermentation is no longer necessary, but is this also the case you're using a primary fermenter without an airlock?

If I need to move to a secondary fermentation, when do I do that? When the beer is closer to 1.005? And then how long does secondary fermentation last?

If I should leave it in the bucket as it is now, when do I know it's ready for bottling?!

Thanks for your help!

Best,
Bewildered Brewer

Once fermentation completes there is less co2 pushing out so there is more chance of something nasty getting in regardless of the vessel being used. I would say that it is time to get an airlock in place to reduce that possibility as well as the potential for oxidation occurring for the remaining conditioning time.

The airlock has no bearing on how long a beer should ferment. I'd let it sit for another week then check your gravity. If it stays the same for a few days then you are ready to bottle.

Hi

I don't use a secondary, it seems to be a matter of preference.

I hope it tastes great; I've had good results with the Coopers IPA.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Keep that lid sealed as well as you can to keep CO2 in and air out. Maybe use some Starsanned plastic wrap around the edge. Let it go for 2-3 weeks so it's done, no need to keep peeking and taking samples. Then take a bit of beer out of the thoroughly sanitized spigot, now you got it there, and check FG. Dryhop 5-7 days before bottling. No need for secondary.

EDIT: Oh, you got no airlock or hole in the lid?
Hmm, don't seal it too tight, although lids without rubber gaskets don't seal that well anyway. Let the Starsanned wrap be your "airlock."

I've read a lot about how secondary fermentation is no longer necessary, but is this also the case you're using a primary fermenter without an airlock?

Yes, it's the case any time, except for a few specific exceptions. This is not one of them.

When you say there's no airlock, is the bucket at least covered somehow? Do you have the lid on it?

If I need to move to a secondary fermentation, when do I do that? When the beer is closer to 1.005? And then how long does secondary fermentation last?

I would not recommend moving it to secondary at all. "Secondary fermentation" is a bit of a misnomer, since there's not actually any new fermentation going on. If anything, it is merely the trailing off of the original fermentation.

If I should leave it in the bucket as it is now, when do I know it's ready for bottling?!

You'll know your beer is done when you take identical 2 gravity readings 3 days apart. I would wait 3 weeks before even checking. When you do, I think you'll find it will not be anywhere near 1.005. That would be unusually low for an extract batch. If your final gravity is between 1.020 and 1.015, that would be a typical finishing gravity for this type of brew.

Keep that lid sealed as well as you can to keep CO2 in and air out. Maybe use some Starsanned plastic wrap around the edge. Let it go for 2-3 weeks so it's done, no need to keep peeking and taking samples. Then take a bit of beer out of the thoroughly sanitized spigot, now you got it there, and check FG. Dryhop 5-7 days before bottling. No need for secondary.

I've got 2 of the Cooper's airlock-less fermentation buckets and have never had to put a seal on it. I've only had one infection and that was because I kept online the lid to take a smell as it was really good.

I would recommend sanitising the spigot prior to taking samples.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Thanks for all the advice!

My primary fermenter doesn't actually have a spigot because I'm pretty sure I've accidentally used by bottling bucket. I'll have to autosiphon it when it comes to bottling.

The Coopers IPA kit suggests that I leave it only for seven days to ferment. But everyone seems to suggest at least 2 - 3 weeks. Is there harm in leaving it that long?

Also, I've been told that I can just leave my SG reader right in my fermenter bucket rather than taking samples. Is there any danger in doing this?

Thanks again!

Thanks for all the advice!

My primary fermenter doesn't actually have a spigot because I'm pretty sure I've accidentally used by bottling bucket. I'll have to autosiphon it when it comes to bottling.

The primary doesn't need a spigot but the bottling bucket should to make life easier

The Coopers IPA kit suggests that I leave it only for seven days to ferment. But everyone seems to suggest at least 2 - 3 weeks. Is there harm in leaving it that long?
No, no harm at all, 7 days though is too short, it's not the calendar but the yeast. I like to leave my beer 10-14 days and then check for gravity. If it's done I'll leave it another week to clear and then package

Also, I've been told that I can just leave my SG reader right in my fermenter bucket rather than taking samples. Is there any danger in doing this?
You can but if it breaks you lose your beer, personally I see no need to do this. I take an OG reading prior to pitch and check for FG at the 10-14 day mark

Thanks again!

Hope this helps, Cheers!

Latest posts

Back