prices, prices prices!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beerlord

Reaction score
Bouth 10 lbs of pilsner malt, 1 pound of munich, 4 oz of Sazz and 1 oz of Nugget (just cuz they are limiting to 5 oz/week so i figured i'll get em) $32.
When I started brewin a whoel all grain batch was under $20 including yeast!
Getting old and more aggrevated I guess.:mad:

Saving your yeast should knock the price down from $2-$8 depending on what you're using.

I agree though, this stuff is getting out of control. I spent over $20 in hops for my Lupomania. Granted, there's 7oz of hops in that beer, but still...

mrkristofo said:
Saving your yeast should knock the price down from $2-$8 depending on what you're using.

I agree though, this stuff is getting out of control. I spent over $20 in hops for my Lupomania. Granted, there's 7oz of hops in that beer, but still...

yeah I'm rakig onto a Octoberfest yeast, other wise it's be another $7. so $40 for a batch if I had to buy yeast, still cheaper then the $9.50 I paid for a 6 of flying dog last night.

Thing is... even if it costs twice as much as store bought *crap, its worth it!!

Would you rather pay $16 to drink 50 cans of Busch or $32 to drink 50 bottles of your homebrew? For me its really not about cost... its about quality. I understand at some point it too much, but 32 bucks for a batch isn't outrageous. I think the hops are what hurt you... 5oz of low AA hops.

sirsloop said:
Thing is... even if it costs twice as much as store bought *crap, its worth it!!

Would you rather pay $16 to drink 50 cans of Busch or $32 to drink 50 bottles of your homebrew? For me its really not about cost... its about quality. I understand at some point it too much, but 32 bucks for a batch isn't outrageous. I think the hops are what hurt you... 5oz of low AA hops.
It's more the fact that it cost half that 12 years ago. ANd I actually bought 5 oz of hops just to have, I'll probably only use 3 of the sazz, store an oz and use somthign higher in aa for bittering.

And the price of gasoline was $~0.95/gallon in 1998-1999. I remember filling up my car in montour falls, NY when I saw a gas special for 6c off... own to $0.89/gallon. As I filled up my tank I thought to myself that this would be the ONLY time I would ever see gas under 90 cents. Little did I know in just a few years I would pay almost 4 times that much.

I'm 22 and I've seen gas under .80. Back in the 90's we had a few days I remember it being .79.

.83 was the best I ever filled up for.
I miss those days, that money could go into more brewing equipment!

I live in an area where there is no LHBS. I have to have it shipped and the shipping charge for one batch is about 11 + a 3 dollar or so handling fee. So feel lucky if you don't have to add an extra $14-$15 to your $35 total for ingrediants which makes my cheapest batches over $40.:drunk: I am going to wash my hefe yeast to try and save money but i bet i will not even brew another hefe for a few months, to many other beers to create:rockin:

I remember $20 bucks could fill your car, get a pack of smokes, a drink, and some chips.

"Man, I remember when a dime bag cost a dime. You know what I mean? You know how much condoms used to cost back in them days?"
"How much?"
"I don't know. I... We never used them."

jacobyhale said:
"Man, I remember when a dime bag cost a dime. You know what I mean? You know how much condoms used to cost back in them days?"
"How much?"
"I don't know. I... We never used them."
Funny as hell comment! Dime bag that is going back some time in to the 7o's

VA Brew said:
I live in an area where there is no LHBS. I have to have it shipped and the shipping charge for one batch is about 11 + a 3 dollar or so handling fee. So feel lucky if you don't have to add an extra $14-$15 to your $35 total for ingrediants which makes my cheapest batches over $40.:drunk: I am going to wash my hefe yeast to try and save money but i bet i will not even brew another hefe for a few months, to many other beers to create:rockin:

I remember $20 bucks could fill your car, get a pack of smokes, a drink, and some chips.
I order my supplies in bulk on line to help save on shipping costs. If you can order supplies that will last a while. I have a 55 gal food grade drum that I put my DME and grains in for long term storage. It will easily last a year that way.

jacobyhale said:
"Man, I remember when a dime bag cost a dime. You know what I mean? You know how much condoms used to cost back in them days?" "How much?" "I don't know, we never used them."
I can't decide whether I love Half Baked, or Willie Nelson's part in Half Baked more! I counter you with:

[YOUTUBE]mKpeBFqNuCQ[/YOUTUBE]

VA Brew said:
I live in an area where there is no LHBS. I have to have it shipped and the shipping charge for one batch is about 11 + a 3 dollar or so handling fee.

Sounds like you need to try Austin Homebrew or Northern Brewer for their flat-rate shipping specials, my brotha in brew!

when I was young and reckless, condoms were 25 cents each at the local gas station......

I can still brew my Hugh Heffe for $22, with liquid yeast... almost cheaper than gas!!

chriso said:
Sounds like you need to try Austin Homebrew or Northern Brewer for their flat-rate shipping specials, my brotha in brew!

Thanks for the tip but northern brewer is selling oz hops for $4 - 6.5 and weekendbrewer.com is selling them for $2.5 (just less of a selection), its amazing i just started brewing ~1 year ago and have seen the price of hops increase 100% already.

Hadn't noticed WeekendBrewer before, thanks for the link. Edit:They need to read a book on accessible web design, though. Oof. I'm not patient enough to sort through those multi-color monstrosities!

I don't even consider hops when I'm thinking about this stuff, as nowhere has much inventory these days. :(

your better off buying your hops in bulk from freshops or hopsdirect. i bought 2 lbs total for 58 with shipping this will last me for most of the year and all i have to buy is specialty grains and yeast when i make a batch(even the yeast is starting to be washed though):rockin:

I found a little local gem. It's a specialty gourmet food store that also sells HB supplies in limited quantities. You pretty much have to know what you are doing when you go in there as it is run by a bunch of older ladies. They didn't get the memo about the hop prices I guess or have a lot more in the backroom, becuase the 06' crop stuff they had was $1 for an ounce of US variety hops and $1.50 for the European stuff. I went in there just before the new year and bought $120 worth of brewing stuff, half of that was spent on hops alone. Then I just went back in again this last Friday and got another 20 or so ounces to stock up but good. Cascade was not to be found but they had at least 30 different pellet varieties and leaf of E. Kent, and Fuggles, so I have a nice little stash for quite some time and it cost me pre "shortage" prices. They also sell Nottingham for about $.50 a pack there also, so I bought a box of that the first go-round as well. And I didn't tell anyone at the local "real" HBS about it either, they just ask about hops each time I get a grain bill and I tell them I am set for now. :D

BrewFrick said:
I found a little local gem. It's a specialty gourmet food store that also sells HB supplies in limited quantities. You pretty much have to know what you are doing when you go in there as it is run by a bunch of older ladies. They didn't get the memo about the hop prices I guess or have a lot more in the backroom, becuase the 06' crop stuff they had was $1 for an ounce of US variety hops and $1.50 for the European stuff. I went in there just before the new year and bought $120 worth of brewing stuff, half of that was spent on hops alone. Then I just went back in again this last Friday and got another 20 or so ounces to stock up but good. Cascade was not to be found but they had at least 30 different pellet varieties and leaf of E. Kent, and Fuggles, so I have a nice little stash for quite some time and it cost me pre "shortage" prices. They also sell Nottingham for about $.50 a pack there also, so I bought a box of that the first go-round as well. And I didn't tell anyone at the local "real" HBS about it either, they just ask about hops each time I get a grain bill and I tell them I am set for now. :D

Where is this place? The Nottingham yeast is below cost. I need to stock up.

Forrest

Sorry, but I remember the gas wars and used to get gas for 18 cents/ galllon when I first started driving in Spokane, Wa. Damn that sucks, when you can remember that far back but can't remember what happened last week! oh well, guess I'm lucky that I can still remember where the boil pot is stored.

BrewFrick said:
I found a little local gem. It's a specialty gourmet food store that also sells HB supplies in limited quantities.

the complete gourmet? i just cleaned out their hop inventory for good about a week ago! thanks for leaving a few oz of saaz and hallertau, I couldn't find those for anything resembling reasonable online.:mug:

Put together my Irish Coffee Stout, just at the Homebrew Store, $56 for Extracts Grain Hops Yeast and any other stupid little things that are just a given.

I guess till cheaper then most stouts that cost over $30 for a case.

We were getting rdy to plan our 1st shot at an IPA and when I saw at least $20 in hops for a 5 gallon batch we started talking Cider.

15 cents a gal. back in the gas war days is the cheapest I ever saw.But that was way back in the early 70's:off:

Back