Price Check On Honey

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zul'jin

Reaction score
A local farmer's market has locally produced honey 5 pounds for $30. I don't know if it's organic or how processed it is. Just looking for an idea of what 15 pounds of honey should cost before I spend $90. 'bout what are y'all paying?

Ouch. I spend $40 a gallon here in Colorado. If I buy 5 lbs I end up paying about $18. You should check your local grocer for a better price.

Last year I was paying $20 a gallon for wildflower right from the bee keeper. I do not know if 2010 prices have gone up or not.

I just bought some honey from a local bee keeper here. He sold honey for $4/ gallon or $10/quart. A health food store here sells clover for about $7 a gallon, more for other types. So it greatly depends on where you get your honey from. I posted an ad on craigslist wanting locally made honey and was lucky to find a club of bee keepers here who all offered much lower prices than retail.

If you are buying honey locally, I don't think you should pay much more than $10 per quart ($40 per gallon). If you're looking to buy a special varietal, and you don't live right where it's being produced, you'll pay more...but hey, if you need that special honey to make a particular recipe, you have to decide how much that's worth to you...

To the OP:

Way too expensive. Do not buy. And always taste it before buying. For that price, it should taste like no other honey you've had before.

I found some awesome blackberry honey the other day in Chico, CA... a little over $3 per pound and it was truly unique even in comparison to varietal clover or orange blossom. I just walked into a home brew store and there it was in random containers from a local source. Jackpot.

Look around. Go to home brew shops and look for the odd seasonal item... ask around... google honey in your area... go to farmers' markets. Apiaries and honey dealers are not always the best places, but they can be.

I get mine at Trader Joes, 3 lbs for 8 bucks and change.

I am guessing you are talking about the mesquite honey.
If not then carry on :mug:

I use Trader Joe's mesquite honey for my cysers.

Two 3 pound packages and 5 gallons of the cheapest AJ in town.

One year later the stuff carries its weight in gold :ban:

Every thing I find at the supermarkets is waaaaay more expensive. Look up Dutch Gold if you are on the east coast. 5 gallon pails from PA should suffice for a while.

I am guessing you are talking about the mesquite honey.
If not then carry on :mug:

I use Trader Joe's mesquite honey for my cysers.

Two 3 pound packages and 5 gallons of the cheapest AJ in town.

One year later the stuff carries its weight in gold :ban:

Every thing I find at the supermarkets is waaaaay more expensive. Look up Dutch Gold if you are on the east coast. 5 gallon pails from PA should suffice for a while.

Dutch gold. Like the one from costco?

Wish i knew where to find a "beekeeper" in Los Angeles. :)

I've been getting mine from Leeners.com ...100% natural with no additives.

Honey Clover 12lb @ $44.95...3lb @ $13.95

It may sound wacked, but look in the phone book. They often list so folks who need swarms removed will call them (free bees = good). Also, google about for beekeeping clubs. Urban beekeepers are becoming more and more common.

Back