Pre vs Post carbination

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

subzero829

Reaction score
I just bottled my first homebrew on Sunday and I decided to give it a try pre carbonation and to my surprise it was very good and really enjoyable......

As we were bottling after we added the priming sugar water for bottle carbonation we wound up having a little extra so I poured that into a cup and the taste difference before the sugar and after was astronomical. I'm wondering if my post carved beer will taste more like the initial beer or the sugar added?

Probably more like the initial. Your yeast will eat the new sugar, leaving very little flavor from it. It will also slightly bump up the ABV. If you think of a continuum from your pre to your post sugar beer, it will be near your pre sugar beer but on the opposite side, if that makes any sense. Said another way, you will take a step toward sugar, but then a slightly larger step away from sugar. ABV causes a little bit of a non-sweet bite.

It'll taste a lot different. The carbonation adds a sparkle to the beer that is flat without it. Compare it to drinking a soda where all the carbonation is allowed to dissipate... it tastes.. er... flat. Plus, you get the added conditioning.. which might be a nebulous term in this sense. But consider a homemade stew. Tastes good.. but, after it has had a chance to sit in the fridge an extra day or two, the flavors become less pronounced as far as picking up specific flavors.. but, the overall impression is.. Wow!! It's better the 2nd day.. because of the melding of flavors. There's a lot to the explanation of this.. but, simply.. your beer will be better after an extra week or three.

+1. I was simply sticking to your original question, more like a or b. but in reality, as was noted, it will be more like c (carbonated and conditioned).

So as I said, in terms of sweetness (which I think is what you were asking about) it will be more like the pre sugar. But in terms of beer, it will be pretty different from both.

Maybe you should add sugar to your glass before you pour each finished beer in :). Might be a new way to drink it.

Yep, you won't taste the sugar at all - that will ferment out completely. It will likely taste different from the pre sugar, however; carbonation has a lot to do with mouthfeel and perception of flavor... plus, the beer will age a bit, which will cause the individual flavor components to blend and mellow a bit.

Back