pre rinsing grain, any problems with that?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sivrat

Reaction score
Hi,

Does pre rinsing the grains in cool tap water just prior to adding them to the mash do any damage to flavours/efficiency?

I do BIAB and sometimes dont have whirflock or irish moss and the beer can end up a little cloudy and require a bit longer conditioning. However, the last 2 beer I have done recently I rinsed the grains to get rid of some of the flower in the crush which is making for a clearer beer.

In rinsing there is actually a lot of flower in there that comes out. However, there is some colour that comes out too, which got me wondering is there is any reason to not do it?

I'm willing to bet that your losing some starches by rinsing and ultimately lowering your efficiency. Have you tried a 20-30 min protien rest? This should help with coudiness and negate the need for a rinse.

thanks for the replies guys!

I am actually not sure about the OG, my hydrometer is with a friend :(

But I am also fairly sure I am loosing something, otherwise, it would be more custom practice, which so far I have not seen.

Thanks all !

I'm just going to put this out there. Stop pre rinsing your grist!

It does do damage to flavor and efficiency.

The flour you speak of doesn't make beer cloudy, it makes wort. If your beer is taking longer to condition, consider that the cost of doing business.

Not for nothing, you should definitely use a hydrometer, 100% of the time.

When you rinse, that flour you are rinsing away has a lot of starches that otherwise would be converted to sugar. Also, rinsing will take some of the sugars from the speciality grains (crystal, etc).

By rinsing, you lose sugars, flavors, color and body.

However, the last 2 beer I have done recently I rinsed the grains to get rid of some of the flower in the crush which is making for a clearer beer.

That flour turns to sugar which turns to beer. You want that goodness in your beer.

Clear beer comes from patience and some finings tossed in the boil for the last 10 minutes.

Back