power went out with 29 minutes left...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NWAleDad

Reaction score
So.....never been in this situation before. 29minites left in my boil and the power went out. Not sure how long I can leave it. When the power comes back can I continue the boil?

What style of beer is it? Extract or all grain?

I might just throw in my flavor/aroma hops now and be done. It would be less bitter than with a full 60 min boil, but shouldn't suffer any other ill effects.

Unless... It is an all grain beer with lots of pilsner malt in it. Then you would definitely want to boil for 60 or 90 minutes to boil off DMS precursors.

If you do decide to restart the boil later, the beer will be a little more bitter than normal, but should suffer no other ill effects.

Thanks! Power came back on in about 20min and i restarted the boil. It is an all grain Milk Stout with little hops. Hopefully that will save it plus the lactose might help cover any ill effects

and power is out again. Finished the boil and added the lactose. Sprayed the kid with sanitizer and set it on top. My HERMS needs power to chill. Just going to line with what I got.

You need a bayou burner. Electric brewing stinks and takes forever. Wife gave me a burner for my 50th. Best wife ever. LHBS threw in a kit as a gift.

Thanks! i use gas on my herms, but the valves and pumps require power. 10gal on a bayu burner does not sound fun.

Latest posts

Back