Power Outage During Fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uhhitsjames

Reaction score
I left for vacation on Thursday, the power went out on Friday at some point according to my neighbors and the surge when it came back on caused something to blow in my central air unit. I came home Sunday afternoon to a 95 degree house, due to the heat that day. Friday and Saturday weren't as hot as that, but it was still in the 80s. I had an IPA fermenting that I brewed the Tuesday before I left and a Brown Ale that I bottled the Wednesday before I left. Both were small batches (1 Gal). I put the IPA in the refrigerator when I got home, it's been about 24 hours now and the AC is back and the IPA is out of the refrigerator. Any chance either of these are still good?

Go figure these were my first two beers brewed. I wanted to start with a small batch kit to make sure I could actually brew good beer before I went out and bought the 5 Gal kit. Looks like I might have to wait longer to taste an accurate brew.

Could be fine, as temp is more critical early in fermentation. The brown is likely fine. Did you use any measures to keep the IPA cool? If you started out at a low but controlled temp (say 65 in a swamp cooler), there is a good chance that it was fine for the first few days when it is most critical, then warmed up at the end of fermentation.

Here's hoping all is well. Cheers.

Only time will tell but you have a couple of things working for you. The IPA had from Tuesday to Friday to go through the most active part of fermentation. Most esters and fusel alcohols would be created during that period. It probably finished fairly quickly as the temps climbed but hopefully the impact will be minimal. As for the beer already in bottles, you will probably find negligible impact. There is fermentation happening but it is on a very small scale. Honestly I intentionally raise my bottles into the 80's during the first week to speed the carbonation process along!

Latest posts

Back