Potato Anise wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

weeple2000

Reaction score
So I have used a few recipes I have found here, and tried some others from Jack Keller and other places online. I wanted to post with the progress of a wine I am making with my girlfriend. It is very different than anything I have done so far. Aside from the two of us, one of my friends tried it and thought it may be the best home made wine he's tried. My brother, on the other hand, took a big sip of it last night and said "its strong" ... judging by the expression on his face he may not have liked it. It has a complex flavor. Here are the notes from our log:

http://www.winemakingtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4808
Anise Wine (Potato-Based)

* 5 lbs potatoes
* 2½ lbs dark brown sugar
* 2 lemons
* 2 oranges
* 2 star anise "stars," crushed
* 1/2 oz ginger root
* 1/2 tsp pectic enzyme
* water to one gallon
* 1 tsp yeast nutrient
* wine yeast

Use well-scrubbed, older potatoes (under-ripe, still greenish potatoes are toxic). Boil the potatoes in a gallon of water until tender but the skins unbroken. Remove the potatoes for other uses and retain the water for the wine. Put the sugar and the thinly peeled rinds (no pith, please) of the lemons and oranges and their juice in the water. Thinly slice the ginger root and add to water. Crush the star anises and add these to water. Bring water to boil, reduce heat, and simmer 15 minutes while stirring to dissolve sugar. Remove from heat and strain water into primary. Cover with sterile cloth and allow to cool to 70 degrees F. Add pectic enzyme and yeast nutrient, recover and set aside for 12 hours. Add activated wine yeast and ferment 7 days, stirring daily. Siphon into secondary, affix airlock and set aside to ferment out. Rack after 60 days, top up and reattach airlock. When wine clears, rack again, top up and reattach airlock. After 4 months, stabilize and rack into bottles. [Author's own recipe]

1/21/2012 - Started wine
1/22/2012 1:30 pm - Added Pectic Enzyme and Yeast Nutrient, SG 1.1100. Tasted wine, sweet (unfermented, duh). Complex blend of ingredients, ginger and anise stars complement well. Taste was more than subtle but not over powering by any means.
1/22/2012 7:30 pm - Rehydrated yeast, took about a half pint from the must for starter
through 1/28/2012 - stirred daily at night, sg today is 1.054.
2/1/2012 10:00 pm - Racked to secondary. SG 1.010, right on target. Added campden.
5/13/2012 8:00 pm - Racked, no campden.

Latest posts

Back