Post build Kegerator pictures

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WBCtobe

Reaction score
Well I posted the finished (for the moment) picture in the show us your kegerator thread and said that I would post some build pictures in a new thread so here they are. As it turns out once I got into the project I did not take nearly as many pictures as I intended to so if anyone has any questions about seemingly missing steps I will do my best to answer them. Here's the link to the full album since I did not include all the pictures I had. (https://flic.kr/s/aHsjZ73vxa)

So first things first, I had this refrigerator sitting in my basement. The previous owner had been foreclosed on and decided to take the doors with him but leave the rest of the refrigerator...

I had been playing around with design ideas and although I had seen the side by side kegerator builds I wanted something that functioned a bit more like a bar. Something more along the lines of this (somewhat exploded view)

So I started disassembling the fridge, which led to my first "ah ha" moment in which I realized that there is only one cooling unit in most (all?) fridge/freezer units which is located in the freezer and the fridge side just circulates air from the freezer. Anyways here's a picture of the cooling coil.

At this point I removed the metal sides and most of the insulation with a putty knife and a nibbler. I was very careful to make sure I did not cut any coolant or electrical lines.
14467062366_5ddd406251_k.jpg
[/url]

Luckily I was going slowly and in my next steps I realized that the hot side of the refrigerant coil went around the freezer door opening. I assume to help with condensation, but I could be very wrong.

14 front view freezer side left by wbctobe, on Flickr

11 top of freezer side (refrigerant coil) by wbctobe, on Flickr

The one scare in the disassembly was when I nicked this corner with a screw driver, luckily only surface damage
13 freezer side top corner (refrigerant coil) by wbctobe, on Flickr

12 back of freezer side (electrical & refrigerant) by wbctobe, on Flickr

21 frame pieces all cut by wbctobe, on Flickr

Really not necessary but I used construction adhesive on all joints, including plywood sides just as an added means of keeping the box airtight.
23 door openings added by wbctobe, on Flickr

24 frame put together with bottom by wbctobe, on Flickr

25 Bottom (rearview) by wbctobe, on Flickr

26 bottom placed on (hot side coil compartment) by wbctobe, on Flickr

27 box in for compressor and hot side fan by wbctobe, on Flickr

27a drain tube for cooler coils by wbctobe, on Flickr

For the next step I had to bend the refrigeration lines that were around the freezer door so that they would fit in the compartment underneath. Luckily before this next step I ran across someone in the DIY forum recommended that refrigeration lines be bent around a cylindrical object (in this case a gatorade bottle) so that the lines would not kink.
28 getting ready to slide refigeration unit in by wbctobe, on Flickr

29 it fits by wbctobe, on Flickr

All insulation was glued in using a special foam board adhesive. I probably didn't need to use it because of the foil on the foam board but I saw no reason to take that chance.
31 side view by wbctobe, on Flickr

32 more insulation side and back by wbctobe, on Flickr

33 other side by wbctobe, on Flickr

I must have gotten very productive between these pictures, since I have no pictures of me adding the second layer of insulation or putting the top on. or wiring in the STC-1000.
34 skipped a few steps, insulation almost done by wbctobe, on Flickr

wow, that was quite ambitious. My hat's off to you. Is there a generator on that trailer? or is it just a cooler when not parked at the "dock"

So far I have been lucky enough that when the kegerator is in the trailer it has been close enough to power to just run a extension cord. But the trailer was really an afterthought to the kegerator and a lucky coincidence that it fit perfectly on it. Most of the time the kegerator is in my basement though

That is impressive. I don't know if I would have gone through all that trouble.

Now I feel lazy with my keezer project...

I recently completed step 1: buying the freezer.

Come to think of it, I am pretty lazy. :D

Back