Post Boil Grain Addition

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackwaterbrewer

Reaction score
has anyone ever heard of or tried steeping a pound of grains after the boil to acheive a fresh grain presence? this might be a stupid idea, but i tasted a fat tire yesterday and was blown away by how fresh and up front the malted barley flavor is.

Post boil? No way. I can assure you Fat Tire has no post boil grain additions. One of the reasons for boiling is to get rid of proteins and bacteria that are introduced by the grains pre boil.

how can i get that super fresh barley flavor. i tastes the way the wort smells while boiling. i am obsessed with fat tire and odell's 90 shilling. i need help.

maybe they are using a bizarre yeast that accentuates the barley flavor. or, an insane % of biscuit or victory or munich in the grain bill. i can't get fat tire in virginia so i cant do very much taste testing.

That recipe has a lot of IBUs for a Fat Tire recipe, from what I have read you should aim for around 17-23 IBUs...

Back to the original topic, can you describe what you mean by fresh malt taste a little more. Just sweetness or roastyness? A bigger malt flavor profile can be the result of many variables. Most breweries use a combination of less fermentable malts and higher mash temp. Drinking the beer young and fresh also helps...

I normally use some Belgian Aromatic malt to get that malty/grainy flavor. I use a lot of Marris Otter and Aromatic. I like that in your face malt flavor to.

That recipe has a lot of IBUs for a Fat Tire recipe, from what I have read you should aim for around 17-23 IBUs...

That may be but if I can speak for the recipe's author, Flat Ass Tired is not a clone of Fat Tire but is intended to create some of the same flavors. It is also a higher gravity beer so some of those extra IBUs will balance out. Personally I don't care much for Fat Tire but I do know that hophead's recipe is extremely well liked by those who brew it. :mug:

Steeping grain AFTER the boil would be a bad idea. Grain is NOT clean and contains many bacteria and wild yeasts that would just love to mess with your wort.

It's the same reason "they" don't recommend milling grain in the same space you ferment in.

"Flat Ass Tired is not a clone of Fat Tire" OK I must have missed that in the link somewhere. Maybe a better name would have been Imperial Tyre...

IMHO a good place to start to knock off Fat Tire is an Alt recipe. Maris Otter and or Munich will beef up the malt flavors... There is not enough hops in it to taste so use whatever you got sitting around.

Back