Possible to use metal Lunch Box as stir plate casing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wantonsoup

Reaction score
I bought a neat metal lunch box to use as my stir plate case. Then I realized that I'm dealing with magnets and metal might not work at all. I already bought the popular speed-control Thermaltake fan, a 1000ml pyrex and a 1 1/8" stir bar.

Can this project be salvaged with a metal case? Thanks.

I bought a neat metal lunch box to use as my stir plate case. Then I realized that I'm dealing with magnets and metal might not work at all. I already bought the popular speed-control Thermaltake fan, a 1000ml pyrex and a 1 1/8" stir bar.

Can this project be salvaged with a metal case? Thanks.

Only if said metal is non-magnetic.

Awesome, any tips?

Well, I probably did things differently. I used a CNC Bridgeport to cut the hole and screw locations in the top of the switchbox.

And I used the CNC to make a jig to hold the large SS washer in place so I could cut pockets for the rare earth magnets I bought on Ebay.

I should make some more of those washers and offer them for sale. They turn out nicely centered.

I basically stopped when my PWM circuit board etching process proved inconsistent. I should try again now that I have access to a better laserjet printer.

I bet you could get by with a hole saw and some carefully placed punches to get a drill started.

Okay so I definitely need to cut the metal out then. I was confused by your first post and hoping I could keep the lunch box solid on top.

Ah. Yes, I think it might help to cut a hole. I have not built one with a solid top, but they do look nice.

Maybe try without first? Not sure how to keep the magnets from pulling down on the lid though.

Okay so I definitely need to cut the metal out then. I was confused by your first post and hoping I could keep the lunch box solid on top.

First off, is the metal on the lunch box magnetic? If it's not, you should have no problem with keeping the lunch box intact on top, so long as you don't mind your controls on the sides of the lunch box.

It's magnetic and I don't want to cut it up - thanks for the input, I'm jumping ship and bought a little box from the dollar bin at Target that'll work :)

I made the stir plate from a cheap Target wooden box, seems to be working! Biggest problem is that even at the slowest speed the Thermaltake is really cooking.

CDctqWjUUAA6IWa[1].jpg

Back