Possible Infection?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Will b

Reaction score
I am brewing a rochefort 10 clone and it has just passed its third week in secondary, and one in primary. My concern is it still seems very active and there are small bubbles still on the top and a ring of bubbles around the edge of the carboy. There also seems to be a clear film on the top. Should I be concerned?

After doing some research I think what I am lookng at is the formation of a Pellicle, which seems to be related to wild yeasts used in lambics. Any Ideas?

i'd say it's fermenting. what was OG and the gravity when you transferred it? that's a strong beer and i would think you would need more than 1 week in the primary. it probably wasn't finished when you transferred, which would explain why it's still active.

i don't trust visual diagnosis and i highly doubt you have wild yeast in there. best thing to do is take a sample, get a reading and taste that sucker. i'll bet you it simply not finished.

This is my second batch and I haven’t gotten into OG readings yet. I tasted it and it seemed fine.

yeah, i'm sure it's fine...just not quite finished.

i would really suggest getting a hydrometer and taking the reading before you bottle this particular brew. it's a high gravity brew and if it's not finished when you prime and bottle, you could get bottle bombs.

just take a reading of what it is right now and post your recipe and we'll see where you're at.

sounds good. Maybe a few days before I can get a reading. Thanks

Back