porter ideas

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

10thstreetBrew

Reaction score
I wanna make a porter batch with some different flavoring being chocolate vanilla cherry, hell an maybe even rum. Does this sound to crazy of an idea? I've only made 2 batches before(brown ale and a wheat which turned out good), so I am a little new to home brewing. Anybody got some advise for me?

What porters have you tried? I have had a few. I would say my favorite has been Summit Great Northern Porter, but I don't know how true to style it is.

If you look at my recipes I have an Edmund Fitzgerald's Porter That is lighter body and more subtle than the Great Lakes actual version.

If I had any advice to give, I would say be cautious with added flavoring. You might make something that was tough to pallet.

Do some research here. Google Porter - look for threads that have grown long they are usually good beers.

It's not crazy but I'd get you flavoring from the grain and hops and get that right and then go from there. Hell you can add a lot of those flavors at packaging anyway. I am doing a smoked brown porter right now. Can't wait to drink.

adding out of the ordinary flavors is a great way to make an interesting beer, but also a great way to make a terrible beer.

I see it often happen that someone wants to experiment (which is great), but they go overboard with the extra stuff. My suggestion when using something different in a beer for the first time is to be conservative with it and see how it comes out. Tweak from there.

I personally like a little molasses in my porter, but it really doesn't take much to give the beer some character. It's really easy to use too much and end up with a beer that simply tastes like molasses instead of a good beer with a hint of molasses.

For something like rum, on bottling day, just take a sample and add a little rum to it. taste and adjust until you find the right amount. Then do the math and figure out how much to dose the batch to match that level.

Fairly uncommon, but consider adding about 1.25 lbs Special B malt to you 5.5 gallon batch. I do it frequently in my porter to give it that touch of sweet caramel flavor without adding adjuncts... and most people would swear I threw vanilla in the beer ;)

Also, another experiment I've done that turned out well is replacing the roasted malt (usually chocolate and/or roasted barley) with Carafa II, which imparts a much softer roast flavor. Combine both of these, and you'll have a nice porter on your hands :mug:

Back