Poorly seated post

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boonebeausoleil

Reaction score
I picked up some used cornies and purchased new posts for the gas lines because there weren’t any on them (just beer posts on both sides). When i seat the new posts they do not seal and when I snoop them the gas just comes out the bottom. Is the a trick to getting these to seal? I’ve put in new rings on the stems as well. Or do i just use liquid connect for both sides?

Attachments

• EBF875D7-294E-49EA-ACE1-40C5B82798F9.jpeg
    EBF875D7-294E-49EA-ACE1-40C5B82798F9.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 0A9D48F0-5596-489F-A362-6FC7B6B3A304.jpeg
    0A9D48F0-5596-489F-A362-6FC7B6B3A304.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
That looks like a modern generic post, and it bottomed out against the keg top before it sealed, indicating the threaded section may be too deep for the threaded riser length. If you had a caliper you could compare the post depth versus the riser length with the dip tube installed to see how far off the miss is.

You could try using two small O-rings under the dip tube flange instead of just one. Alternatively you could try taking one post and grinding the threaded end shorter by a ~1/16" and see what happens. Or try to find the oem-style posts for that keg type...

ps: I am assuming that those posts are the same thread as the risers. If they're not, you could expect the same issue...

Cheers!

that post is definitely bottomed out. Sure you didn't forget the o-ring?

If you have other kegs and posts, maybe you could do some swapping to find out which posts fit with which kegs?

Otherwise, try the double o-ring trick or grind some of the bottom off

When you see a keg for sale missing a part, particularly posts, step back and consider that the previous owner may not have solved that problem either. Not usually a good deal if you have to replace the posts. If it doesn't have a lid, it'll cost you for the lid as another example. In both cases, you can't pressure test it to know whether the keg is broken completely.

I am not sure if Cornelius made this kind, but some kegs have thick plastic washers under the post. I've had a couple of these, not sure what I have left. For some reason I am thinking they are one sided with the fat washer but again not sure. I have wondered time to time how replacing the posts with universals would work out.

Universal posts aren't universal. Sometimes the threads vary. I am not sure if you could thread it down that far if this was the case.

cant recall the name but there is a site you can google that lists all the threadings for corny kegs. actual Cornelius as well as firestone/spartanburg/etc. i'd go there, determine which keg you have and then search for the correct post. "universal" posts only work on one threading, and there's plenty of kegs that have different threading, so the name isnt accurate at all.

i've got a challenger VI keg i'm giving away because its gonna be 20-25 for the special post, plus another 15 or so for shipping...... D'oh.

The kegs with the nylon inserts were John Wood 85 and Firestone Challenger (not "V" or "VI") kegs.

View attachment 814512

Cheers!
That funky little 3 gallon one with thumbscrew pressure plate lid that I have has a metal insert and is a Challenger VI. Only one post has it but the other one has a short spacer made out of stainless steel as a "fix". I just got rid of another one that was too much trouble to fix but had the nylon inster not sure of the brand unfortunately. I think I have one more but I just purged all my empty kegs so I am not going to check them. I'm thinking it is one of my other 3 gallon kegs. I have an ecletic mix of kegs and don't always remember which ones have the unusual posts.

Back