Plumbing Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

High_Noonan

Reaction score
I have a question that I am hoping that my fellow brewers can help me out with.

I am trying to get water to my detached garage so that I can start brewing out there. We live on a really small lot in Eastern MA, so digging down to the frost line to do this properly (and to code) is absolutely out of the question. How I envisioned doing this was to run an RV drinking water hose from the outside faucet on the house to an outside faucet that I installed in the garage wall. I have all my connections made, all the valves are open and yet I get no water on the other side of the garage wall. :(

What I am wondering is if the freezeproof faucet I am using has a check-valve in it? It is one of these jobbers:
freezeproof-faucet-4l.jpg

Any idea on how I can get around this? Having water available in a brewery seems like a pretty good idea! :D

Get a faucet that is not freeze proof. I would just get a 1/2 inch boiler drain valve and plumb it through the wall.

IMO, your freezeproof faucet appears to be equipped with a vacuum relief valve/backflow preventer. This valve is a type of check valve. My suggestion would be to simply use a regular hose bib type valve without the back flow preventer. The hose from the house won't be frost proof, so no reason to use one. Alternately, you could install the frostproof valve through the wall in the opposite direction and get an NPT X Garden Hose Thread adapter for the tail piece. That would give you a valve inside where you are working anyway.

I would just get a 1/2 inch boiler drain valve and plumb it through the wall.
I think we have a winner here. :rockin:

Thanks for your suggestions, folks.
I am new to this whole home-ownership thing, so I have never really had to deal with plumbing before.

Not sure if you solved this yet. If your valves are open and you're getting no flow, you could be jammed at the check. If you unhook the hose from your last valve, do you get flow? If so, you should be able to get pressure in the system by leaving that final valve closed when you open everything else up. In other words, don't try to start the flow with all valves open. Open valve by valve working your way from source to end of the line. Open all valves slowly as well.

Back