Plumbing, 2 Pumps, Single Tier

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That looks like it will get the job done as far as flow. I am laid out the same way but manually arrange hoses and pumps at various points on brew day. The three way valves in your schematic suggest hard plumbing. If so, you will want to plan on how to drain the system when you are done. If not, you will want to drop the valve on the boil kettle return right on top of the three way to avoid pressurizing a hot hose.

As an aside, if I went hard plumbed with this number of valves, I would probably do two more and arrange the wort out line to pass through the HLT coil. Then you could use your HLT to chill. I do this with my single tier layout.

How are you going to recirculate water in the HLT during mashing to keep the temperatures constant? you need a three way valve on the top of the left pump. Great chart, I would color code the liquid flows e.g. Heating up the HLT, Mashing, Sparging, Transfer to boil kettle, boil to fermenter to make it clearer in your head. Walk through the brew day.

Going with cam locks and silicone tubing for now, the only hard plumbing will be off the pumps and kettles. I'm trying to get away from having to swap things around, just change the 3 ways and have at it.

There is a three way valve below the MLT that will divert the flow back to the left pump, which also has a three way under it to switch between strike/sparge to recirculate.

Going with cam locks and silicone tubing for now, the only hard plumbing will be off the pumps and kettles. I'm trying to get away from having to swap things around, just change the 3 ways and have at it.

There is a three way valve below the MLT that will divert the flow back to the left pump, which also has a three way under it to switch between strike/sparge to recirculate.

You are missing an important flow, you need to drain the HLT to the left pump and pump the HLT water back into the HLT to maintain even temperature of the water bath.

Chris

You might also want a path for water do go through to all paths so you can flush everything with hot water at the end of the brew day, if you have hot water close. Otherwise if you have paths everywhere from the HLT that would work too. It will make cleanup a lot easier.

Ok, I think I resolved the HLT issue. Basically moved the HERMS re-circulation to the right pump.

Don't hate me for this...

This configuration will also work. It will be flexible in that you can chill through your HERMS coil. It will be more efficient in that the liquor temps around the HERMS coil will be stabilized through persistent whirlpool.

BUT... Sometimes you shouldn't have everything. I know I would find a way to screw up the position of the two-3 way valves atop the left pump (at least once). I could see accidentally running both the recirculating liquor with the wort through the HERMS coil. Or worse, sending wort into your HLT. Maybe for a few seconds, a minute, or maybe ten! At best, the resulting brew would be a drastic departure from the intended result. At worst, you are mixing the chilling water into your chilling wort post boil. I would a) drop my own suggestion, b) drop the recirculation to the HLT, or c) find an even more complicated method to isolate the two operations. I know you will c your way through it! :rockin:

That looks right, would the plumbing be more simplified if you added a 3rd pump?

Here is the layout for my mainly one pump, three vessel w/RIMs and Counterflow chiller setup. I also have a tan pump on my HLT but it is currently dedicated only to it. I use it for recirculating HLT water and pushing it into the mash tun. I have had it clog before when I use it for the RIMS. I have three separate valve manifolds with 3ways on the outside and a two way on a "T" in the middle.

View attachment Plumbing diagram.pdf

Brewery Picture 2.jpg

Plumbing diagram 3.jpg

Found this post whilst searching about. Thanks for this diagram.
My setup is functionally the same as yours but I switch hoses around. I always wanted to utilize 3 way valves but couldn't envision the way.
I just now ordered a bunch of 3 ways. :rock:
How is this setup working for you? Thoughts? Changes? Advice?
TIA

I think I have it dialed in for what I want to try out.

stand-profile-v3-67952.png

Works well, I had to "adjust" one of the valve handles out a little bit due to a clearance issue. I've been able to brew on it a few times with good results. I ruptured my patellar tendon a few months ago so brewing has been at a stand still... Hopefully a few more weeks and I'll be able to fire it up again.

Oh geez man, I do hope that tendon heals up for you.

Those valves do look a bit close. Adjust meaning one handle bent up to clear the other? Would you prefer them to be further apart or is the "adjustment" acceptable during operation?

Latest posts

Back