Plenty of head but no bubbles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gonzoflick

Reaction score
I have come across this situation the last couple of times I've kegged my batches. I will leave the kegs under pressure for about a week (pressure about 15psi) and then go to drink some. There will be a good amount of head but hardly any bubbles coming up through the beer. The beers do not have the "carb bite" im looking for. Do you all suggest longer periods of time or should I up the PSI?

Shake the living hell out of 'em at 30 psi (chilled). Reduce to serving pressure and let 'em sit for a few days. You can repeat the shaking act at 30 psi as often as you have energy to do so until you get your desired carbonation level.

1st question, have you served kegs before? The "keg" setup has its own set of trials and tribulations. They are all easy to fix. So I have to ask, is this your first time with a c02 tank or not? (Just eliminating some stuff with this simple question).

Yuri_Rage said:
Shake the living hell out of 'em at 30 psi (chilled). Reduce to serving pressure and let 'em sit for a few days. You can repeat the shaking act at 30 psi as often as you have energy to do so until you get your desired carbonation level.
...or buy one of those paint can mixer/shakers...;)

No Ive had C02 for a while. I have a perlick 3 keg (1/2 barrel) direct draw system that up until now I have been using for commerical kegs. I have a 3 outlet manifold attached to a double regulator and a 20# tank. I have noticed the readings on the regulator are a lot more irregular on the corny than on a commerical keg. I guess this has to do with the size?

I pump my pressure up high and the highest my gauge reads attached to a corny is 20-25lb . Attached to a commercial keg I can get it way up.

Anyways, I will be shaking them more often I guess.

Maybe a little more pressure and longer lines. It's definitely an art. I have two secondary regulators connected to manifolds, so I can switch pressures without too much trouble.

The colder the beer the more easily it takes on co2. I chill to 40 deg and ( on ales) pressurize to 12.5 vol. This for 1-3 weeks is usually enough.

gonzoflick said:
I have come across this situation the last couple of times I've kegged my batches. I will leave the kegs under pressure for about a week (pressure about 15psi) and then go to drink some. There will be a good amount of head but hardly any bubbles coming up through the beer. The beers do not have the "carb bite" im looking for. Do you all suggest longer periods of time or should I up the PSI?

This is unusual. I put my beer at 12 PSI for 7 days and it's perfect. I would suspect you have a leak somewhere. It's working fine for dispensing, but obviously enough is escaping to inhibit absorption by the beer.

gabe said:
The colder the beer the more easily it takes on co2. I chill to 40 deg and ( on ales) pressurize to 12.5 vol. This for 1-3 weeks is usually enough.

WTF??? 12.5 volumes of CO2. What the hell pressure is that............ 138 lbs? You must serve it through 2 miles of hose! :confused: :D

The carbonation bite on that must take your head off! It must be like eating Pop Rocks and drinking beer at the same time! Ha! Ha!

I agree with Orpheus.....there is a leak somewhere. The irratic pressure is a dead giveaway.

Ok, the "head" is likely coming from the CO2 in your lines, you can get "head" in about 5 minutes if that's all you want.. I am guessing that you simply havent carbonated long enough OR you have a leak in your cornies. Test the pressure on the corny keg by putting soapy water around it with 30lb's pressure on it. You ideally want to see no bubbles..., some light bubbling and light leaks are "OK" but will slow down your carb process.... It usually takes me well over a week to properly carb, I keep mine at 12-15 PSI @ 32 degrees (Yes, I like it cold) constantly...... If you have leaks, it will take more time to carb... There is always more carbonation in the line than in the keg as it is the escape route for the gas, so this is probably what you are seeing.

Here is a solution for you (besides the stupid shake at 100PSI method, which I disagree with)... While you are cold aging your beer, put it in your keg freezer under 30 PSI and disconnect..., this pressure will dissapate and disolve in the beer. Put another 30 PSI in it(and disconnect), it will disolve again... You can tell it disolves by pulling the pressure release valve. After 2 times at 30 PSI, put your desired PSI 12-15 on it and disconnect daily... You'll be pretty well carbonated by the time the beer has properly cold aged.

Back