Please Critique my wood sculpture 3d design

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

modobrew

Reaction score
I'm in the process of finishing up my Kal clone that I started over 7 years ago. Job opportunities and kids put a hold on my system, but I'm now in a place to get back to it. I currently have a SS table that my pots are on, but it's just way too tall for me. I like the looks, but I just can't deal with the height of the table. So I'm looking to knock out a wood sculpture mimicking Kal's, but with a few changes. Below are some sketchup images of what I've thrown together to help me with the build. Just looking to see if anyone has any input from experience that maybe I might need to add/change on my idea. I also have the idea of a tippy dump for the mash tun and HLT to help with cleaning/emptying. The wood that those are sitting on will be on piano style hinges with turnbuckles and hooks attached the handles to keep the kettles in place when dumping. Thanks in advance guys! Cheers

This is how I plan on storing it in the garage.
Brew Stand Design.PNG

This is how I plan to use it on brew days.
Brew Stand Design Unhooked.PNG

Example of the tippy dump idea.
Brew Stand Design Tipping.PNG

Looks solid as heck - probably survive the end of the world :)

I would install some kind of curbing around the mlt base to keep it from simply sliding off during the dumping as the hold-downs alone won't be sufficient to keep the kettle in place - and could result in unexpected consequences.

Otherwise...wrt your SS table, you can have it shortened for likely less cost (and surely less time) than building an entire new structure. Find someone who knows how to cut and tig ss and you might be able to trade some beer for the effort :)

Cheers!

Looks solid as heck - probably survive the end of the world :)

I would install some kind of curbing around the mlt base to keep it from simply sliding off during the dumping as the hold-downs alone won't be sufficient to keep the kettle in place - and could result in unexpected consequences.

Otherwise...wrt your SS table, you can have it shortened for likely less cost (and surely less time) than building an entire new structure. Find someone who knows how to cut and tig ss and you might be able to trade some beer for the effort :)

Cheers!

Thanks day_trippr! My plan was to make a very solid stand. I'd like for it to last as long as possible. I agree on the curbing recommendation and it was something I had already planned to, I just hadn't added it to my sketchup. But thanks for reiterating the fact that I should def have it.

As for shortening the SS table, I don't think I want to do that as I really like the height of it for a prep table. I think I will just set it next to my brew stand to use for prepping for my brew day (yeast starter, measuring out hops, clearing agents, etc).

I started prepping the lumber this weekend. I had a bunch of wood leftover from our custom house build we finished last May. I planed a bunch of it down to even thicknesses and square everything up. Hopefully start with the build this coming weekend.

@Yooper uses a tippy tun LOL - but that's because she's delicate, like a flower.

Looks good. Do you worry that the heat from the kettles will be too much for the wood? Not start it on fire, but scorch it or something like that?

@Yooper uses a tippy tun LOL - but that's because she's delicate, like a flower.

Looks good. Do you worry that the heat from the kettles will be too much for the wood? Not start it on fire, but scorch it or something like that?

Haha! I guess I'll be joining the 'delicate' club!

As for the heat issue, I have cork pads under each kettle so I don't anticipate the heat being an issue. The wood will also be stained and have a few coats of poly on top of that. Hopefully with it being fully electric, heat (scorching) shouldn't be that big of a concern. I guess time will tell.

I have a wood stand with plywood top and the temp of the kettle doesn't hurt anything. Looks great! When I built mine, I wanted easy access to my control panel and also make it asthetically pleasing. I saw lots of other designs where people would put the panel far away and looked like you'd have to reach over to get it it.

I have a wood stand with plywood top and the temp of the kettle doesn't hurt anything. Looks great! When I built mine, I wanted easy access to my control panel and also make it asthetically pleasing. I saw lots of other designs where people would put the panel far away and looked like you'd have to reach over to get it it.

I agree completely about the ease of reaching the panel, hence the reason for the mobile panel cart. It only makes sense to me to be able to move it closer. By the way, by the looks of your thumbnail, it looks as though you have the V2 panel from SS Brewing. If so, how do you like it? I was looking to go with them, but I've been a huge fan of Kal and his design and support since forever ago. However, the design of the SS panel is very visually appealing.

I agree completely about the ease of reaching the panel, hence the reason for the mobile panel cart. It only makes sense to me to be able to move it closer. By the way, by the looks of your thumbnail, it looks as though you have the V2 panel from SS Brewing. If so, how do you like it? I was looking to go with them, but I've been a huge fan of Kal and his design and support since forever ago. However, the design of the SS panel is very visually appealing.
Funny you mention that! My previous hobby to homebrewing was working on cars and I loved designing air ride systems...specifically having clean/hidding wiring. So when I made mine, I wanted to have as much wiring hidden as possible, and make it super easy to adjust anything on the panel. A few months after I see SS Brewing's panel come out. Here's a pic of it before I upgraded to a 20 gallon stainless kettle in place of the keggle:

img_4139-jpg.607861

Funny you mention that! My previous hobby to homebrewing was working on cars and I loved designing air ride systems...specifically having clean/hidding wiring. So when I made mine, I wanted to have as much wiring hidden as possible, and make it super easy to adjust anything on the panel. A few months after I see SS Brewing's panel come out. Here's a pic of it before I upgraded to a 20 gallon stainless kettle in place of the keggle:

Good stuff. Looks clean. I can't wait to get mine completed. I'm itching to get back to brewing again.

Haha! I guess I'll be joining the 'delicate' club!

As for the heat issue, I have cork pads under each kettle so I don't anticipate the heat being an issue. The wood will also be stained and have a few coats of poly on top of that. Hopefully with it being fully electric, heat (scorching) shouldn't be that big of a concern. I guess time will tell.

Yeah, I said the delicate like a flower thing to rile her, not to reflect on you LOL. We'll see if she notices . . . . . if I'm not around for a few weeks, its because i've been banned.

The cork is a great idea!

Yeah, I said the delicate like a flower thing to rile her, not to reflect on you LOL. We'll see if she notices . . . . . if I'm not around for a few weeks, its because i've been banned.

The cork is a great idea!

I'll be on the lookout to see if you go silent on here 😆

And these are the cork mats i ordered.

A little update on my brew sculpture. I've managed to make both stand frames and have added the top to the large frame. This has been a labor of love as I'm using leftover lumber from when we built our house. I've planed every piece down so that they are all the same thickness and ripped them to the sizes that I wanted. You'll notice there's a combination of treated lumber and non treated. So far the hardware has been the only cost to me, so I'll take it! I hope to have more progress after this coming weekend, but so far I'm pleased with what I have.

Brew Stand.jpg

Brew Stand 2.jpg

Well I finally got the lower shelves installed and threw on a couple of quick coats of spray paint before the rain came in. Still need to hit them a couple of more times and thinking about applying some urethane to them since I’ll be dealing with water. I’m really liking the way they have turned out so far.
9CCA5B47-36B4-4EBB-A474-85CE534CBD7E.jpeg

A small update. Managed to get a few coats of urethane and a couple of coats of paste wax on the tables. Also temporarily placed the counter flow chiller and pump shelf. Getting really excited about finishing things up. Still need to do a final leak test on all equipment. But things are moving in the right direction! Waiting on new sight glass labels to come in from AiH. The ones I have are so old they’re giving me fits. Wish me luck on the leak tests!

what do you guys recommend for pump locations? right side or centered?
65030ADF-530F-4551-B457-B17A0D57352E.jpeg

03EEBD3A-BA37-40EB-B861-052D59DEC984.jpeg

A small update. Managed to get a few coats of urethane and a couple of coats of paste wax on the tables. Also temporarily placed the counter flow chiller and pump shelf. Getting really excited about finishing things up. Still need to do a final leak test on all equipment. But things are moving in the right direction! Waiting on new sight glass labels to come in from AiH. The ones I have are so old they’re giving me fits. Wish me luck on the leak tests!

what do you guys recommend for pump locations? right side or centered?
Center the pumps, so you don't have to deal with different length hoses.

Back