Please check my water additions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

malador

Reaction score
Could someone please check my water additions? I've never done water additions, and would appreciate any input.

For 18 gallons of water to be used in a IPA:
Gypsum: 10.6 grams
Epsom Salt 10.4 grams
calcuim chloride 6.3 grams
baking soda 4.6 grams
chalk 2.0 grams

Here is an averaged water content from utility. (3 reports)
CL 1.7 mg/L
Na 3.6 mg/L
Ca 8.6 mg/L
Mg 2.25 mg/L
SO4 1.0 mg/l
Alkalinity: 43 mg/L
Hardness: 55 mg/L

In my opinion the only salts you ever need to add are gypsum and calcium chloride. So I would drop the epsom, baking soda, and chalk and then up the gypsum to about 18 grams if you want to keep the SO4 level about the same. I don't think there's really any need to add Mg, sodium, or carbonate.

In my opinion the only salts you ever need to add are gypsum and calcium chloride. So I would drop the epsom, baking soda, and chalk and then up the gypsum to about 18 grams if you want to keep the SO4 level about the same. I don't think there's really any need to add Mg, sodium, or carbonate.

Thanks. I'll take your advice. The ideal of only having one more little bottle around is appealing. I don't really have a firm grasp on water chemistry.

Back