Plate Chiller Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlkiBrewing

Reaction score
I'm going to buy a plate chiller and wanted to ask those who have them think a pump is mandatory or will they work via gravity? I brew 5 & 6 gallon batches. Any input or suggestions appreciated. Thanks.

I second what lpdjshaw said. Been using a plate chiller for a couple of years without a pump, just gravity & have had no problems.

It'll work with just gravity, but how would you clean it? I use a pump with mine, and have it circulate the cleaning solutions afterwards while I clean other things.

Hey thanks for the input everybody. They sell a back flush attachment for cleaning. It attaches to a garden hose and supposedly blasts out any debris left in the chiller. I haven't talked to anybody who has used one so not sure how well they work. I may get a pump down the road but wanted to confirm if they will work via gravity. Somebody said that plate chillers shouldn't be used on small, 5-6 gallon, batches because too much wort is left in the chiller. Are you all using them on 5-6 gallon batches or larger volume?

I use mine for 5 gallon batches, but after I'm done chilling, I carefully disconnect and lift each hose so as to drain the tubing and chiller into the kettle/fermenter.

I bought one of those cheap ebay pumps for getting better flow thru my CFC. Just bought camlock connections to use with it too. At $21 bucks with free shipping, it'll def serve its purpose til I can get a March pump next year with my income tax check. I'd def recommend getting SOMETHING for it, those plate chillers are a ***** to get cleaned 100%. Even with pumps, some people still boil or bake them afterwards because they know they are gonna get some hop particles stuck in there that won't come out until they chill the next batch.

No way would I put wort through a chiller that I wasn't able to recirculate cleaner through, especially when a pump can be had for under $50. A pump is useful throughout brew day.

On a side note, I HAVE a plate chiller and LOVE it, but I wouldn't get one for anything less than 15 gallon batches (I do 20). The amount of time it adds for cleaning is significant and really cuts into the time you save by how fast it chills. As an experiment, I put water through both ways half a dozen times or so, then started recirculating the chemicals and the same amount of gunk comes out. It's crazy what sticks in there.

I'm going to buy a plate chiller and wanted to ask those who have them think a pump is mandatory or will they work via gravity? I brew 5 & 6 gallon batches. Any input or suggestions appreciated. Thanks.

A pump is not mandatory. If you have a good vertical drop, gravity works fine. I use a 4 foot vertical drop and can drain and chill a 6 gallon batch in 5 minutes.

Back