Plastic Kegs for Homebrew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It looks like these are not made for home brewing. They’re not available in pin or ball lock which excludes most home brewers.

Wellll...yes, plastic kegs have been developed for the commercial brewing industry, but one can find Sanke D-type couplers fairly inexpensively if not fancy, and there are a lot of home brewers that do run Sanke kegs.

That said, I don't get the attraction of plastic kegs for home use, especially the ones that use liners...

Cheers!

I was looking into those a few months back and noticed that they are single use only. The design is that a (micro)brewery would sell their beer to customers in those pertainers and the customer would just dispose of the pertainer. This eliminated the breweries cost of having to buy large quantity of SS kegs, as well as the collection and cleaning cost.

That gets pretty expensive for single-use, just a handful of batches, and you could've easily bought a brand new stainless keg.

Austin homebrew is running a sale on used kegs for $40. That’s a good deal because they usually pressure test them and install all new seals. I’m not sure how much shipping costs though.

Also that’s assuming you are looking for 5g kegs.

Yeah there are some good deals online. I'd prefer smaller actually but the 1.75 and 2.5g kegs are just as expensive as the 5g.

Yeah there are some good deals online. I'd prefer smaller actually but the 1.75 and 2.5g kegs are just as expensive as the 5g.
Yup, I bit the bullet and bought two 3 gallon kegs last fall so I could do smaller batches of beer. I think I paid $70 each for new.
Then COVID happened and it made more sense to keep brewing 5g batches and give away beer to neighbors. I probably give away more than half of a given 5g keg. I don’t mind filling growlers for the neighborhood. And the cost diff isn’t much since I buy bulk grain and hops and use harvested yeast.

I was looking into those a few months back and noticed that they are single use only. The design is that a (micro)brewery would sell their beer to customers in those pertainers and the customer would just dispose of the pertainer. This eliminated the breweries cost of having to buy large quantity of SS kegs, as well as the collection and cleaning cost.
$23 for a recyclable plastic keg with $20 worth of beer in it... :drunk:
Do we really need to generate more "recyclables?" I'd shun any brewery jumping on that bandwagon. Where's my blacklist.

Sad story is I watched a news(?) program that demonstrated how we have been mislead to believe the recycle programs are recycling 100% of what we give them. In actuality, only about 2 of the 7 codes are actively recycled and the rest still ends up in land fill as there is no economical way to recycle them.

Yeah. About a year ago I learned that many municipalities literally smash and throw away recycled glass. Even though they have you sort it out in your recycling program. Blew my mind.

Back