Plastic 1/6 bbl pub kegs- anyone tried em?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Plus, I have made it a mission to consume as much of his beer as possible when I am at one of their parties. So, I'd like to just give him a ready to use keg with my Hog Mountain Logo plastered on it of course. .

I would suggest buying a sanke d coupler to force carb the kegs. Trying to fill an open keg with carbed beer could get ugly real fast if it starts foaming. Also, you will not have an ability to sample the amount of carbonation left in the finished beer. The $30 for a sanke coupler could save a bunch of heartache and your good reputation as a brewer!

Plus the extra work of transferring the beer from keg to keg to save a couple bucks....Sanke couplers hold their value, so in theory you could sell it someday for very little net cost!

I would suggest buying a sanke d coupler to force carb the kegs. Trying to fill an open keg with carbed beer could get ugly real fast if it starts foaming. Also, you will not have an ability to sample the amount of carbonation left in the finished beer. The $30 for a sanke coupler could save a bunch of heartache and your good reputation as a brewer!

Plus the extra work of transferring the beer from keg to keg to save a couple bucks....Sanke couplers hold their value, so in theory you could sell it someday for very little net cost!

yeah, I just bit the bullet and bought it from Homebrew Stuff

My pubkeg and Sanke D coupler have arrived. I have 10 gal of Vienna Blonde Ale that has been cold crashing for over 2wks while other things took precedent. I'll put 1/2 in my ball lock corny and 1/2 in the pubkeg for my neighbor.

So I was touring Terrapin Brewing in Athens, GA last night and I saw green pubkegs in various areas along with all the other kegs. I didn't think anything about it and then today, I started to sanitize mine for filling and I happened to look up their website. I wanted to see where they were located and got a surprise: Lawrenceville, GA, which is suburban Atlanta. No wonder I'm seeing these things around town.

No wonder I'm seeing these things around town.
I have yet to see one in the Northeast, I'm curious if they are reusing the outer shell, or are they just a one time use?

I'd imagine they work great for homebrew! They are a bit larger diameter than corny kegs or sanke sixtels, so if keezer space is tight, you may fit less units.

If you could source the empties, you could likely sell em for "beer money", but shipping would be a little pricey.

I'm likin this thread--talked to my son about these kegs last night and put my order in for a few he says the place he cooks at just throw's them in the dumpster--Guess I'll be giving it a try when the weather cools down enough to boil a batch

I've got two Pubkegs so far can't wait to get beer in these only thing is the flimsy o-ring as stated above--Free is good!

browder said:
I've got two Pubkegs so far can't wait to get beer in these only thing is the flimsy o-ring as stated above--Free is good!

So your price is an o-ring...haha
Don't really need any more kegs, have quite a few empty all the time but am it hung to try these...maybe the light weight is appealing, sankes weigh a ton...

Yeah, the o-rings are flimsy. I bought three extra for my single keg. Mine is full and carbed. I still use ball lock cornies for my keezer, but my neighbor has a regular two tap kegerator. I bought this so I could make him a keg every few months. I think I'm going to buy a second one so I can keep a rotation at his house ;)

My only issue from reading their website is that the dimensions of a 1/6 keg (5.1gal) pubkeg is the same as a standard 1/4 stainless keg. I am interested in buying them, but to do so I will need to make my Keezer bigger. Seems a better deal than buying used potentially leaky cornies though at $55 apiece. Also, I wonder how well they hold up.

I do like that you can see any debris inside them through the container to aid in cleaning.

You could probably leave off the outer shell if you were looking to save space in the keezer.

You could probably leave off the outer shell if you were looking to save space in the keezer.
No don't think you'd get away with that--if you go to Pubkeg site they show them being filled upside down-they're just big ass soda bottles kinda flimsy
Think Midwest is sellin em for $59.00 and I gotta tell ya ain't no way they're worth that much to me but free is a different story I've been gradually getting set up to keg so these work good for me--I plan on using these and the four ball locks that I have
These aren't as big as the 1/4's I get I'll measure them later today but they're just a bit larger than my cornies
If you ask around somebody will give you some my son talked with his boss and the beer driver-the driver says they don't return them here in Mich. they are recycled

They are forty something a home brew stuff. It is basically a large Tap-A-Draft bottle. Once full of beer, I think you could just place them into your keezer/kegerator. You'd have to make sure they don't tip over. That would be easier in a keezer if you have multiple bottles. They do seem to be a little thinner than a Tap-A-Draft bottle. I experience and own all these things now including:
5gal cornies
2.5 gal cornies
TAD
Pubkeg

I'm planning on going to kegging soon and seriously considering starting out with these. I'm not seeing anyone selling parts for these, like replacement o-rings?

23 1/4" tall
9 1/4" bottom
11" top

So, they are essentially sixtel size then.

Kegs-new.jpg

I wonder why they said they were slim 1/4 then? Thanks for the measurements.

I'm planning on going to kegging soon and seriously considering starting out with these. I'm not seeing anyone selling parts for these, like replacement o-rings?

Doubt you will like I said they're sending used ones to recycle-the outer container is worth as much as the inner bottle--I'd check with a beer driver if you want some or the yard of local beer distributor probably a recycle area full of these things

So, they are essentially sixtel size then.

Kegs-new.jpg

I wonder why they said they were slim 1/4 then? Thanks for the measurements.

Top dimension is 11", that is slim 1/4. They have a taper from the top lid / cover to the bottom like an HDPE bucket.

Don't thin'k I'll buy any of these, but love to dumpster dive a few....

Ah so wider at the top and narrow at the bottom. Strange, but Makes sense now, especailly as the bucket outer shells would be the 11 1/8" diameter overall. Maybe I will look into these when I expand my keezer in the future.

May be interested, would be looking for 2-4, not sure how many you have available.

Everyone who has Pm'd I've been busy and haven't checked on shipping cost yet I'll get back to you soon--

Hey been busy with the deer hunt I'm planning on getting a shipping quote for three of them shrink wrapped together--think that would work best--I used the online quote for one and it was $15.00 to a 62 zip code with the demesions and weight--I'll get it done Friday and let you all know--I have 12 available right now and will be able to get more

Is there a video anywhere of a home brewer filling and using these kegs I know brew brothers said they were doing one but it has never shown up

Youtube. Search "plastic pub keg".
First video is this one
and it'll likely tell you everything you need to know to get started...

Cheers!

Last edited by a moderator:
browder said:
Hey been busy with the deer hunt I'm planning on getting a shipping quote for three of them shrink wrapped together--think that would work best--I used the online quote for one and it was $15.00 to a 62 zip code with the demesions and weight--I'll get it done Friday and let you all know--I have 12 available right now and will be able to get more
how much for 2 shipped to46307 zip?

Shipping is crazy on these things you guys are better off buying new where ever you can get free shipping or at your local home brew shop I'm just gonna flip these locally on Craigs list

Has anyone used these as fermenters? In Japan it is hard to find an economical fermenting container - 4700 yen for a 6 gallon pail? 8100 yen for a 23 liter better bottle!? I can get the pubkegs for free second-hand so I really want to convert them to use as fermenters initially. Anyone have negatives to dissuade me from their use? Cutting them up seems to cause a separation of a film from the regular PET plastic, so I think they have extra oxygen barrier film added to them.

I already have 4 corny kegs that I can use for carbing and serving, but perhaps later on if that isn't enough I might use the plastic kegs for serving as well.

Has anyone used these as fermenters? In Japan it is hard to find an economical fermenting container - 4700 yen for a 6 gallon pail? 8100 yen for a 23 liter better bottle!? I can get the pubkegs for free second-hand so I really want to convert them to use as fermenters initially. Anyone have negatives to dissuade me from their use? Cutting them up seems to cause a separation of a film from the regular PET plastic, so I think they have extra oxygen barrier film added to them.

I already have 4 corny kegs that I can use for carbing and serving, but perhaps later on if that isn't enough I might use the plastic kegs for serving as well.

I only have one which I bought so I could make beer for a buddy with a store bought kegerator that has Sanke connectors. I suppose you could use it to ferment as long as you can vent it. Do you have something in mind for venting?

Do you have any bakeries or food shops that may toss food grade buckets? Oftentimes people get empty frosting buckets, or pickle buckets, or the like for free/cheap and convert them into fermenters. Additionally if you can find cheap wines/juices in gallon glass containers, you can use them as cheap glass fermenters. Additionally still, if you can get ahold of one, empty office water bottles would work too. Thats the beauty of homebrewing, we can recycle and reuse pretty much anything that will hold liquids.

If you are going to use the pubkegs as fermenters, just leave more headspace, remove the cap and improvise an lid/airlock. I wouldn't bother cutting into it.

Back