Planning on doing AG.....need help with setup!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

naderchaser

Reaction score
Hello!
First time poster, long time viewer. I'm planning on investing in my first homesetup and will be doing AG. I want to do this right, so i'll be buying SS MLT and Kettle. My question is:
-What size (gallon) MLT and Kettle should I buy? I plan on doing 5gal home batches and am not sure whether to get a 7.5 or 10 gal setup (to allow for expansion, ect.)

Basically, i'm starting fresh and will be doing AG, 5gal batches and willing to spend the money on SS equipment. Please point me in the right direction. Thanks in advance! :mug:

But if you plan on going SS, I suggest you shoot for 10 gallon batches.

You can always start with 5 gallon batches with it and move up to 10 without having to buy new equipment.

Thanks for the reply. That's the way I way leaning.....that way I can always up my batch size as my skill increases without buying new equipment. Thanks for the insight.

wal-mart has a coleman xtreme 70 qt. cooler on their website for $39. I bought this one and it's perfect for 5 or 10 gal brews. Thick walls so it keeps the heat well insulated. This thing can be easily converted into a fully functional MLT with about $25 and a quick trip to home depot.

I found a keg off craigslist and paid a guy $15 for it. Keep your eyes peeled and one will come up sooner or later. There are plenty of videos online on how to convert a keg into a boil kettle. This is really the ideal solution because it holds up to 15 gal. easily accommodating a 5 gal or 10 gal boil. Remember, when brewing AG you boil down to your target volume instead of topping up with water. Therefore, you might need 7 gal or more boil space for a 5 gal batch.

There are a couple of different options as far as a heat source goes. Check amazon.com for the bayou classic sp-14. it usually sells between $40-60 and will bring a 10 gal. batch to boil in no time. I bought the sp-10 because it was $20 cheaper at the time, but the frame was slightly too small for my keggle. I ended up purchasing a Brinkmann cooker fryer for $49 at home depot. This thing is sturdier than the bayou classic and is 100,000 btu's plus i didn't have to pay for shipping! Good luck and happy brewing!

As far as your MLT and water tank I would go with something like this:
http://www.northernbrewer.com/brewing/deluxe-ags-10-gallon.html

You can easily DIY for cheaper than what they charge. Like said above, you can make a quick trip to home depot and pretty much get your MLT and Hot water tank going with all the fittings. Really the only things you would have to get from your LHBS or online is your false bottom and whatever you will use to sparge with (if you will).

Go with a 10 gallon setup, especially your SS kettle to help prevent boil overs.

Cheers and GL

There are a couple of different options as far as a heat source goes. Check amazon.com for the bayou classic sp-14. it usually sells between $40-60 and will bring a 10 gal. batch to boil in no time. I bought the sp-10 because it was $20 cheaper at the time, but the frame was slightly too small for my keggle. I ended up purchasing a Brinkmann cooker fryer for $49 at home depot. This thing is sturdier than the bayou classic and is 100,000 btu's plus i didn't have to pay for shipping! Good luck and happy brewing!

Is this the one your are talking about?
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1xr5/R-202038918/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

Will it hold a 10 gallon+ kettle? I don't know why it wouldn't but it is hard to tell from the picture.
I have this:
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1xr5/R-100121665/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

I have used it well over 200 times and have had no problems whatsoever. I bought it at a home depot so I saved on shipping but the other day I looked for one for a friend and they didn't carry it (at least the particular store I was in didn't have it)

Latest posts

Back