Pipe fitting electrical switch???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BadWolfBrewing

Reaction score
Trying to build something like this:

http://blog.makezine.com/2010/06/17/beautiful-plumbing-pipe-lamps/

I'm always amazed at the DIY geniusness on these forums, so I'l posting to see if I can get some help.

I can't for the life of me figure out a great way to build that shut off valve electrical switch. Something about an embedded microswitch is the best I can come up with. It seems like the valve itself is just an MPT fitting. I've never seen valves that consist of a single fitting, they are always at least 2 fittings with a gate controlling the flow between them. Is this a truly custom built part, or is there some sort of valve MPT insert that I could put into that corner piece?
:confused:

The rest is trivial, but that switch is the best part. Anybody have any thoughts on how to do this?

Many thanks in advance

Man, you'll have to hit up your local plumbing supply house. That tee youre searching is called a 'side outlet tee'...it's galvanized and will be hard to find. It looks to be 3/4" judging by the picture. I've had my Journeyman lisc for 10yrs now and never used one for repair. Pretty rare. The rest of the fittings are cake to find along with the pre-made nipples.

You could try looking here. I did a google image search for "side outlet elbow". The original blog showed a 1/2" side outlet elbow being used. The linked site (scroll down to find the fitting) has a bunch of different sizes available. There might be others, but I just posted the first one I saw. Good luck with this! Those lamps look pretty sweet!

thanks for the help. I think the pipe fittings shouldn't be too bad. I might get hosed on the price / shipping, but they are at least available. For the switch, I have a rotary switch coming in the mail. I found one with a long bushing, that happens to be 1/8 NPS threaded. It is labeled as 1/8 27 IP, and it doesn't look tapered, which I believe is the same thing as 1/8 NPS then. If that's the case, I'll tap a hole in a pipe plug, and that should do it. I'm hoping the body of the switch will fit inside a 1/2" fitting, but if I have to go to 3/4 that isn't the end of the world.

If I remember, I'll try to update this thread to show the final product. If I can make a crazy expensive artsy lamp for 50 bucks, I'll be pretty happy. It will look nice in the brewery too...

Latest posts

Back