Pints to Lbs. Equiv.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hamish

Reaction score
Hi folks. First timer.

I have a question my local home brew supplier was unable to answer. The recipes I am able to find list lbs. of liquid extract and I am more readily able to measure pints. Typically, in measuring water-based liquids, "A pint's a pound." I imagine, though, that malt syrup is significantly heavier than that by maybe half again. I suspect that this varies from one company's product to another's, but I'm wondering whether anyone has a general rule of thumb.

How much does a pint of malt syrup weigh?

Thanks,

Hamish

I've found 6 lbs of syrup fits in a half-gallon jar. About the same for honey and simple syrup. "Half again" is about as close as you'll get.

That sounds about right to me, because my IIPA called for 11lbs of LME, and that almost filled up my one gallon bucket.

Where I work, we sell 6.6 pounds of LME, in a 1/2 gallon container. We could probably get a tiny bit more, but we only put 6.6 pounds in.

Briess pale and amber. Our dark is from Munton's.

steve

Back