Pink Moon, a Belgian Fruit Wit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

El_Exorcisto

Reaction score
So I have a big grain order coming soon, so of course I am low on almost everything. I had a need to brew today, so took inventory of what base grains I had... Not much. I had seen the Longshot winner Cranberry Wit, and figured I had enough to make an attempt. I ran to the grocery store and found a few things to make it a bit more interesting:

1. Blood Oranges on sale... SCORE. I picked up three and zested them. I also gutted and added the pulp of two of them.

2. Cranberry Pomegranate juice, also on sale. I figured complexity would be good. Since it's an impulse brew, why not play a bit.

3. Out of whole coriander... Looks like I'm skipping it since the ground smelled pretty weak.

So here's the recipe:

70% Efficiency

4.5 lbs Malteurop Pale Two-Row
4.5 lbs Briess Wheat
1.0 lb Flaked Oats

0.5 Gallon Pomegranate Cranberry Juice, no added sugar

1.0 oz Cascades, 20 minutes
1.0 oz Crystals, 20 minutes

Zest of 3 Blood Oranges
Pulp of 2 Blood Oranges

Fermenting at 70* with Ommegang yeast, estimating 80% attenuation

During the boil it smelled incredible, like I was back in an orange grove from my days in the sun. I can't wait for it to run through and I can get it bottled.

It turned out effing AMAZING... Secondary is for punks, haven't you heard? I was actually sort of lazy and added it immediately post boil. I should have added it at high krausen to eek out a few more points of attenuation, but meh, why screw with a good thing? You can taste every element singularly if you look for it, but the synergy between all of the flavors is really incredible. The pomegranate adds an earthy element, and the cranberry gives you that sort of raw tartness. The blood orange really refreshes and the combination of cascades and crystals play off each other so well. I highly suggest anyone who wants to try something a little pink and girlie give it a shot. It's delicious.

This was an AG brew? Would like to try it but would need an extract conversion.

Yea, it's all-grain. I've never used extract, ever, so all I have to offer is speculation. You'll have to skip the oats, since they need to mash. Use enough wheat extract to hit about 5.5% abv. The rest of the recipe should be the same. I can't recommend enough however, that you get past the extract and start getting into all grain. It just makes better, much more controllable beer.

Back