Pilsner malt vs. 2-Row

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Axegod

Reaction score
Hey,

I have made 2 AGs (pilsners) so far using 2-row as the majority of the mash.
All things being equal (ie -do not need 2-row for helping with mashing rice/corn and similar SRM / points) -is there a big difference between the 2-row and pilsner grain besides the price?

Would I get a vastly superior pilsner with a pilsner grain?

I was quite happy with my 2-row AGs and wanted to see what others thought.

Cheers.

Pilseners are a lighter grain. You won't get the lighter coloring without it. It also has some flavor differences, from what I can tell. Can you make good beer without it? Certainly! Can you make a pilsener without it? No way.

If you want a pilsener, it's got to be a Pilsener malt. It'd be like making a pumpkin beer without pumpkin- that'd just be a spiced ale. A Pilsener has pilsener malt.

Cheers!

I'm thinking pilsner might help my wits as well. The one I made last is too dark (I used 2-row and American wheat...oops). Now that it's cleared a bit (still a lot of protein haze, not so much yeast), it's a sort of disgusting light brown/yellow.

I am quite happy with the taste and the colour of the 2-row. I may try a 50/50 2-row/pilsner just to see the difference.

My supply shop sells 2-row @ $1.50/kg..and pilsner @ $3.50/kg. I guess its time to find a good grain mill to reduce the grain and shipping (by weight) costs.

Cheers

Actually, there are some 2 row pale malts that as low as pils malt. For example Stout Malt, a low Lov malt with high diastatic properties, useful for converting large amounts of unmalted adjuncts.

There are other factors with pils malt. Here is some explanation from http://brewingtechniques.com/library/backissues/issue1.1/fix.html

PILS MALT
In Europe, Pils malt generally refers to malt made from top-quality, low-protein, two-row barley. It generally has modest diastatic powers, is quite pale in color, and is much less modified than ale malts. European lager brewers tend to prefer undermodified malt, partly because of tradition and partly because of the superior storage properties these malts are reported to have. Table I shows the data on the DeWolf-Cosyns' Pils malt.

The kernels are plump and uniform in size; there are virtually no small kernels. In fact, this is true of all of the malt discussed in this article, indicating uniform germination typical of floor malting systems. The Pils malt has much harder kernels than ale malts, which indicates that the latter are more modified. The degree of modification is evident when the malts are chewed or milled.

DeClerck found that the best protein levels for malted barley were in the 9-11% range (2). The DeWolf-Cosyns Pils malt falls in the middle of this range, which is ideal. It is important to note that few North American malts fall in the DeClerck range. Most two-row malt is 11.5-12.5% protein, and six-row malts are typically >12.5% protein. One feature of low-protein malts is their relatively low diastatic power, the measure of the grain's enzymatic strength; the higher the diastatic power, the stronger the malt's enzyme system. North American two-row malts typically have diastatic powers in the 125-135 degrees Lintner range, and six-row malts are stronger still. The Belgian Pils malt is roughly 25% below that. The enzyme system in the Belgian Pils malt is therefore not strong enough to convert the starch in a mash that contains a high fraction of adjuncts (here adjunct refers to any grain that has little or no enzymes, such as roasted malts and unmalted cereal grains). With a diastatic power slightly above 100 degrees Lintner, the Belgian Pils malt is capable of converting its own starch and perhaps a 15-20% adjunct level in the grain bill. Brewers should be cautious about using higher adjunct levels.

Low-protein malts also typically produce high yields, and the difference between fine- and coarse-grind yields is small. This is certainly true of the Belgian Pils malt. It should be noted that the numerical values for the yields cited in Table I were obtained under laboratory conditions. It is generally not possible -- or desirable -- to achieve these yields in practical brewing situations. The accompanying box (Test Brew #1) shows typical results achieved using my 50-L system.

Premium Pilsen Malt is used for brewing all malt Premium Lagers. There is an emphasis on low protein and relatively low S/T. This ensures good extract levels, no haze problems and low DMS potential. Steeping and germination are carefully controlled to prevent excessive modification and to preserve head retention values in the beer. Kilning of the green malt is carefully programmed to prevent excessive colour formation and to stabilise that colour, so that colour pick-up on wort boiling is restricted and yet sufficient heat is applied to ensure that DMS potential is limited.

Generally it's a low lov, low protien malt, high yield malt with less dms potential..

Hmm, we just had a thread going about Pils. I was just checking out the SRM of both 2 row (1.8L) and Pils (1.6L). I mean, .2 lov difference? If it's really only color, I'll stick with 2-row.

Back