Pig's Ass Porter Clone?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MT2sum

Reaction score
I'm hoping to find/make a good clone of Pig's Ass Porter from Belt, Montana, which claims to be a Burton-type London Porter. It's my favorite beer, bar none! I've only found a couple of recipes for "London Porters", but this one from 1997 has an extract that I've never seen and know nothing about, so I could use some input as far as grain to extract conversions. The other is Fullers and then there's Old Slug by RCH, but I don't know if it is a London Porter.

Here's the recipe from BYO.com:
Taddy Porter Clone
Author: Henry W. Jones IV Issue: June 1997
5 gallons, extract/specialty grains
"A good clone of Samuel Smith's Taddy Porter. Tastes like a good porter should."
Ingredients:
1 can Edme Super Flavex unhopped dark syrup
1 lb. Munton's light dry malt extract
1.5 lbs. Munton's amber dry malt extract
0.5 lb. American crystal malt, 40° Lovibond
0.5 lb. English chocolate malt
0.25 lb. black patent malt
2 oz. Fuggle hops (8.8% alpha acid), for 60 min.
0.5 oz. Willamette hops (4% alpha acid), for 15 min.
Wyeast 1098 (British ale)
Step by Step:
Add grains to 1.5 gals. water and steep at 155° F for 30 min. Remove grains, bring to a boil, and add extracts and Fuggle hops. Boil for 45 min. Add Willamette. Boil for 15 more minutes and add to fermenter. Pitch yeast when cooled to 70° F. Prime with corn sugar.
OG = 1.050
FG = 1.013

I'm not a fan of extract brewing, only tried it a couple of times when I was given some out-dated cans of extracts, so that's why I need the help.

This is what I can find out about Munton's malt extracts:

Muntons range of canned malt extracts for the home beer making market are made exclusively from the finest English 2 row barley. They are produced by the aqueous extraction of sugars from malted barley and are subsequently concentrated into a viscous syrup. They are a valuable source of fermentable sugars, provide natural colouring and impart their traditional rich malty flavour.

Our hopped varieties are blended with choicest English hops selected for their aromatic and bittering characteristics. There is no finer malt extract available at any price.

Light Canned Malt Extract
Selected English lager malt is used to produce this fine consistent light malt extract.

Muntons DME Light
Light-colored English DME, a bit darker than Extra-Light. Use for pale ale, IPA, and bitter.

Amber Canned Malt Extract
Made from a blend of pale and crystal malts this product provides the ideal building block for Ale and Bitter style beers.

Muntons DME Amber
Amber colored English dry malt extract, ferments dry with a malty flavor. Good for Scottish ales, ESB, milds, and brown ales.

Munton's is pretty secretive about the percentages of the blends (Proprietary recipes) but this is what I've found from another British maltster:

Maillard Malts™ Gold Malt Extract Syrup is made from pale malt with a small amount of CaraPils, which results in a very light color and excellent head retention capabilities.

Maillard Malts™ Amber Malt Extract Syrup is composed of pale malt with caramel 60 for a grainy caramel sweetness and Munich malt for increased complexity and fullness.

Maillard Malts™
Munich Malt Extract Syrup is a 50/50 blend of pale and Munich malts. It produces a red-amber wort with an exceptional dense chewy-malty flavor.

I once found (on the web somewhere) that you can't go too wrong by using a 60/40 or even a 55/45 split between the different malts to create the specific malts you need. Is this true?
So I'm thinking that the Light DME would be substituted with a UK lager malt, and the Amber would be a split of Maris Otter and Caramel/Crystal 60L maybe.

I can't find anything on the net to give me an idea of the makeup of Edme Super Flavex unhopped dark syrup, so I'm hoping someone here has some idea of how it's been converted to all-grain in the past.

I'm wondering if these might help:

Fermenter's Favorites™ Briess Traditional Dark DME
A proprietary blend of base, Munich, and 60L crystal malts. Amber color and malty flavor with caramelly overtones.

Dark Canned Malt Extract
Chocolate malt, crystal malt and pale malt is used in the manufacture of Muntons dark malt extract. Ideal for recipes designed to brew Milds, porters and Stouts.

Maillard Malts™ Dark malt syrup is a blend of pale malt with some caramel 60, Munich, and black malt.

These three all seem to have 3 and 4 grains, so I suppose the 60% would be Maris Otter and the 40% would be split somehow between the other two or three grains. If anyone has suggestions, I'd like to hear them.
I'm on a fixed income and have to things a little at a time, so I'm getting it all together.

To figure the quantities, I've always used these formulas:
To go from LME to grain, multiply by 1.750 –-- 4 lb LME x 1.75 = 7 lb grain
To go from DME to grain, multiply by 1.667 –-- 4 lb DME x 1.667 = 6.668 lb grain.

Last edited:
Forgot to post some links
The Brewery

Pig's Ass Porter
First brewed by Harvest Moon in 1997, this beer is a multiple award-winning dark ale brewed in the Burton, England style owing to the similarity of water chemistry in Belt compared to this classic porter producing area in England. Plenty of body without a sharp bite, this ale is brewed with pale, caramel, chocolate and black malts to create a creamy, smooth, roasted, slightly chocolate tasting ale with a touch of hops in the finish. This ale can be enjoyed in every season and is best when served cool, not cold. And why the name? While drinking this new brew one evening back in 1997, the local hog farmer showed up to collect our spent mash and we that what could be better for fattening pigs?
(Terry Foster of BYO always seems to mention that “London Porters” use Brown Malt [some refer to 'Brown Malt' as British Chocolate], so I wonder if this is the 'Chocolate' referred to above in the Commercial Description).

Either no one has heard of Edme Super Flavex, or no one has an idea of how to simulate it, or maybe no one has ever sucked on a Pig's Ass (you're missing something!) ....... It's the best Porter in Montana!
I found this on a recipe from BYO -
Hutchins makes his own extract by following the same steps as the Irish stout but using 6 lbs. of pale malt with 1.5 lbs. of roasted barley and deleting the flaked barley.
So that tells me that a person that makes his own Stout LME makes it at a 4:1 ratio of base to roasted barley. Since no one here has expressed an opinion on my clone dilemma, I'll just start with that premise on the different malt extracts instead of the 60/40 or 55/45 ratios. Thanks for those who at least took a look!

Why not just drive over to harvest moon and ask the brewer? I know he setup shop in belt because of the water. So to actually clone it you'll need to bring some water jugs with you as well. :)

Btw, thst is a great beer. I first bought a sixer of it in harlowton a number of years ago.

Cheers!

If I remember right about all of the Harvest Moon brews, they always taste like they use a Belgian strain as their standard in house yeast. You might investigate which strain.

Why not just drive over to harvest moon and ask the brewer? I know he setup shop in belt because of the water. So to actually clone it you'll need to bring some water jugs with you as well. :)

Btw, thst is a great beer. I first bought a sixer of it in harlowton a number of years ago.

Cheers!
What I forgot to say in my first post; I'm stuck in Tennessee and might never be able to get back to Montana, what with the economy and the lack of work here - that's why I want to make that clone!

If I remember right about all of the Harvest Moon brews, they always taste like they use a Belgian strain as their standard in house yeast. You might investigate which strain.
I never thought of that - I'd assumed a London Ale or something along that line! Thanks!

What I forgot to say in my first post; I'm stuck in Tennessee and might never be able to get back to Montana, what with the economy and the lack of work here - that's why I want to make that clone!

I'm sorry to hear that. Mt is a great place. I miss it. Good luck with the clone.

I've had good luck emailing breweries and asking questions about their beers.

My wife just found this pic. I don't know how to upload it (I'm pretty much of a computer illiterate), but if someone else want's to, go for it!
Bud Light

I just got an answer back from Edme about the Super Flavex Dark Syrup - They quit making malts 15 yrs ago and sold the recipes to Muntons - no chance of getting any ideas now! I guess Harvest Moon Brewing is my last resort.

I just got an answer back from Edme about the Super Flavex Dark Syrup - They quit making malts 15 yrs ago and sold the recipes to Muntons - no chance of getting any ideas now! I guess Harvest Moon Brewing is my last resort.

When I was working summers in Fort Benton, the times I stopped in to get a pint or fill a growler, they were good about talking beer ins and outs. They weren't forthcoming about telling exactly what was in their beer, but they were good at playing the *hint hint* game. I had asked about their yeast because I liked their Charlie Russell Red, but it had a distinct floral/bready Belgian yeast taste. The guy at the taproom wouldn't tell me yes or no, but told me that it used the same yeast as their Beltian White and that they would use the same yeast all the way through their Pig Ass. What I would suggest is finding a good Porter recipe but pitch a Belgian Wit yeast and tinker until you find what you like or what you think is close. If you don't get the exact taste, you'd probably still get a pretty awesome beer.

Back