PIDs Omega or Auberins, need some input

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Squeeky

Reaction score
Brewers,

Well back in 2008 I started my eBrewery build. Due to association laws I was unable to keep outdoor brewery. After getting the silicon hose for so cheap and now seeing SS camlocks, I'm back into the hobby. I do have one quesiton though.

In 2008, I sourced 2x Omega Temp Controllers Model 6072-J-C1. I realize these use J-Types thermos and are a much older model. Being that I already have them, would there be any beneift to Auberins other then size?

Actually I should just ask, will someone with PID knowledge tell me if I can accomplish the same as with the Auberins? Being that the model is older, the only manual I have been able to locate is one that looks as it it was photocopied and can be found here.

Omega Manual

I also realize these sell for about as much as the Auberins on ebay, I guess I could always sell them and pick up the Auberins, but thats more work on my part :)

Looks like they have 1 amp outputs for SSR. That being the case they should work just fine.

Awesome, I did some research back on 08' on them, found a few of my old post on Brewboard. Now that I have a little better knowledge, I understand the manual a little better. If I'm reading correctly, assume I change to the correct settings it would have the exact options as the Auberin, however a larger 1/4 DIN footprint.

I guess I can't complain as they only cost me $25 for the two back in 08'

If I'm reading correctly, assume I change to the correct settings it would have the exact options as the Auberin, however a larger 1/4 DIN footprint.

Well... there are several different PIDs from Auber, but every PID from every manufacturer will have the same core functionality.

Some of the auber PIDs support a "manual mode" which is what you want to use if you are controlling a boil kettle. Your older PIDs might not support that type of control, but yours should still have the ability to control the temp of something.

You need the pulsed DC output to drive an SSR. The model number you need would contain DC1 which indicates that the primary output is pulsed DC. For example CN6072A-J-DC1-C1, indicates J thermocouple input and pulsed DC primary output. After looking over the owners manual I could not find a "manual mode" to drive the boil kettle.

stevehaun,

Thank you so much for looking through the manual and checking things out. Due to it not having "manual mode" I might just sell the second one and but an auberin. I assume I could use it control a ferm. chamber. However the more I'm thinking I might just part with both and go for the trusted Auberins. I'll have to check the thermowells I have on what type they are, I think K. Which would also work on the auberins. I like the cleaner look of a 1/16 DIN, these models area 1/4 din.

Back