Pictures of hop plants

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wondering if you can identify my hops variety from the photo I'm using as my icon (at left). I "borrowed" a snip from a neighbor of mine who is never home when I am around. Someone told me they look like Centennial. This was their third year. They are in their second year in that photo.

BTW, I tried what you were asking about. I picked the larger cones and left the smaller ones, generally lower on the bine. I'll let you know how it works out. We are getting some unusually warm fall weather here, so I might get a second harvest, so to speak.

Yeah it’s normal for the canopy to ripen sooner go ahead and pick what’s ripe if you can reach it safely. That’s one benefit of homegrown vs commercial operations. I picked starting from the top then stopped and left the rest to finish drying on the vine a little longer. I wonder if this allows the lower half to ripen quicker

Yup, ditto. When possible I do the same. Every year and every plant is a little different.

Update: The Multihead that I planted on July 9th has taken a liking to it’s new home. The tallest bine has grown a foot in 2 days. View attachment 693671

How is your multihead doing now.... I bought one last year from great lakes and it only grew 2 feet last year and the rhizome completely died over winter here in PA. I Bought 4 plants from great lakes just go get his variety and it is a bust for me and now. The centennial is doing well as is the hallertau. Still waiting on signs of life from the cashmere but the whole multihead plant seems to have decomposed. Not sure if it was just a garbage plant or just not well suited for PA. Either way I am not going to bug great lakes about it since I planted in containers and since I only used my discover card once last year on THAT purchase it was the ONLY time I have had any of my credit cards compromised. Had 5 uber charges to the card after using it there..

Off to a good start this year.
BC7703BF-E526-431D-988B-84CC166B9471.jpeg
81C5FBCA-1B9F-49E9-87C8-6052A2A9F413.jpeg
F6731A4B-BCEC-4B04-B779-1CA7C7B87656.jpeg
618B3867-D1DC-471C-9EE6-8DC1ECDA1A73.jpeg

janky as hell but it works.
View attachment 695385View attachment 695386
left side is ratchet strapped to my weight bench through the window. :yes:
Right side is just pulled taut and high enough so I can walk under. I didn't want to damage the gazeebo by going to the tree behind it.
this should hold until harvest time.
Only lost a few dozen cones. i'll just put them in the camp fire. :)

The Arcadian on the right are starting to brown on some cones but can't tell from touch because they are soaked from the downpour.
I think they will be ready in a week or maybe more. when I bust them open they smell more grassy than hoppy.

the hartwick matured late last yr. I was bagging them late september after a week of drying.

both plants have some lower cones that are still new.

next yr I think i'm going with 4 4x 16's in the ground and building a 4 or 5 ft trellis to let them spread out so they aren't all bunched up and because it will support them better.
will only be about 12ft tall but from what i've seen these things will just take that extra vertical space and my harvest won't be hurt much.
hell I still have 9oz of hartwick from last yr.

haha this is so ghetto i love it. planted a huge spruce last year. had some good rain and strong wind. i am talking 50+ started to push it over. ratchet strap and a long piece of rebar pulled that tree right up. ratchet straps are like zip ties for big issues.

Man, there are some amazing pictures here. I'd LOVE to get my hands on a hop plant here in South Africa. Would love to see if I can get it to grow...

Man, there are some amazing pictures here. I'd LOVE to get my hands on a hop plant here in South Africa. Would love to see if I can get it to grow...

i would send you a rhizome if it wasn't growing season! isn't south Africa starting to get into the hop business i forget.

Yeah we have a bunch of local hops that are actually pretty damn great, but they're mostly owned by SAB, and they're not really big on sharing their goodies. I'm not 100% sure I want only the local varieties though. I'd actually LOVE to get my hands on some Czech type hops, or some German, like Saaz or Mittelfrueh. I love these two and I can stick them into most of the beers I like to make.

this is from last week i think, i need to take some better pictures. i have so much going on. trying to finish my front yard sprinkler system so i can move on with my life.. then i am going to brew a ton of beer.

20210423_165109.jpg
20210423_165112.jpg

Yeah we have a bunch of local hops that are actually pretty damn great, but they're mostly owned by SAB, and they're not really big on sharing their goodies. I'm not 100% sure I want only the local varieties though. I'd actually LOVE to get my hands on some Czech type hops, or some German, like Saaz or Mittelfrueh. I love these two and I can stick them into most of the beers I like to make.

ah that makes a lot of sense. yeah i would love to do something similar. I have emailed some farms in hopes of getting something that i could grow for fun and share with my friends. It will never happen. The state i live in is not the best for growing hops. we are also 65% Mormon population. So beer is not the most popular thing around annnnd getting hops even more so.

Its the reason i brew. Its heavily taxed and most of the politicians are part of the church. super rotten for a cult to run the government and make laws yet benefit directly from it.

i am starting to rant back on topic lol. Just happy it force me to brew.

How is your multihead doing now.... I bought one last year from great lakes and it only grew 2 feet last year and the rhizome completely died over winter here in PA. I Bought 4 plants from great lakes just go get his variety and it is a bust for me and now. The centennial is doing well as is the hallertau. Still waiting on signs of life from the cashmere but the whole multihead plant seems to have decomposed. Not sure if it was just a garbage plant or just not well suited for PA. Either way I am not going to bug great lakes about it since I planted in containers and since I only used my discover card once last year on THAT purchase it was the ONLY time I have had any of my credit cards compromised. Had 5 uber charges to the card after using it there..

Hey there, I missed this post. Sadly, my Multihead also appears to be toast. I sent pics to GLH for evaluation. They concurred and mentioned that Neomexicanus varieties seem to be needier than most. I had a few problems:

One: I planted my multihead in July, which is super late.
Two: we had a super early September 9th snow fall which could have stunted my plant.
Three: The location I planted my multihead in a spot that was under constant snow cover over the winter. Making the soil super wet for months on end.
Here is what GLH had to say about this pic:
B96F8FCD-E7E8-4255-969A-8ABB1873B297.jpeg

“Yea the top of the crown is toast. If you can't dig up the root mass and find any rhizomes with buds you can replant she's probably done for. The neomexicana hops in my opinion are fickle and needy. Willow creek may be the best growing of the bunch but none deal with stress well as young plants.”

Hartwick, Arcadian and Alpharoma have all done very well for me. So I don’t think it’s any sort of quality control issue. I think it’s mostly an agro/terroir issue.

I’m presently trying to decide how best to replace my multihead. And/or relocate it with a new plant.

haha this is so ghetto i love it. planted a huge spruce last year. had some good rain and strong wind. i am talking 50+ started to push it over. ratchet strap and a long piece of rebar pulled that tree right up. ratchet straps are like zip ties for big issues.

coincidently I just sunk some 16ft 3x3's (a 2x6 cut in half and nailed together) into the ground for new trellis today.
hopefully these fare better than the fence top rail.

Hartwick, Arcadian and Alpharoma have all done very well for me.

It snowed on the bull shoots of my Heartwhick a few weeks ago.
I trimmed them a week early at 3 ft because the non-hallow shoots were coming up.
Usually i wait till may.
compared to any other hop plant I have these things are hearty as heck.

they are pushing through the small spaces between boards in the raised box I have them in and trying to grow under my deck.
had to cut them.

I trimmed them a week early at 3 ft because the non-hallow shoots were coming up.
Usually i wait till may.

they are pushing through the small spaces between boards in the raised box I have them in and trying to grow under my deck.
had to cut them.

Haha! Yep, they are pretty damn invasive sometimes.

Hey there, I missed this post. Sadly, my Multihead also appears to be toast. I sent pics to GLH for evaluation. They concurred and mentioned that Neomexicanus varieties seem to be needier than most. I had a few problems:

One: I planted my multihead in July, which is super late.
Two: we had a super early September 9th snow fall which could have stunted my plant.
Three: The location I planted my multihead in a spot that was under constant snow cover over the winter. Making the soil super wet for months on end.
Here is what GLH had to say about this pic:
View attachment 727799

“Yea the top of the crown is toast. If you can't dig up the root mass and find any rhizomes with buds you can replant she's probably done for. The neomexicana hops in my opinion are fickle and needy. Willow creek may be the best growing of the bunch but none deal with stress well as young plants.”

Hartwick, Arcadian and Alpharoma have all done very well for me. So I don’t think it’s any sort of quality control issue. I think it’s mostly an agro/terroir issue.

I’m presently trying to decide how best to replace my multihead. And/or relocate it with a new plant.

that's a shame, i let my hops what look like die last year. left them out in the open no water or in the snow all winter. they loved the abuse i guess.

coincidently I just sunk some 16ft 3x3's (a 2x6 cut in half and nailed together) into the ground for new trellis today.
hopefully these fare better than the fence top rail.

great idea! thinking next year i will make in ground planter boxes for each hop and trim back the root rizome. if i do that i might take this idea and see how the hops do out in the open again. If i could get a decent system down i would like to fresh hops for local homebrewers just for fun.

Usually i wait till may.

had to cut them.

i did lots of trimming today. its like the hops can think and start to reach for the nearest thing to climb i had one bine reach 3 feet to the step ladder until i cut em in half.

I should have taken a picture today. I try to move fast in the greenhouse as it's not the most enjoyable place to be. Reminds me of being in FL.

Attachments

• 20210430_165045.jpg
    20210430_165045.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 23
  • 20210430_165035.jpg
    20210430_165035.jpg
    6.1 MB · Views: 20
  • 20210430_165024.jpg
    20210430_165024.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 22
Crystal hops came back and running up the tree. Centennials are banging hard already and my cascade are not far behind em. Spring has sprung.....
B9CB579A-5C3E-4ADE-BE1E-2644E01C19E0.jpeg
4242A109-ECBF-49FF-97E3-499D584AE7B6.jpeg

The first 2 pictures are 2nd year Comet and the tallest is about 8.5 foot. The next 2 pictures are 2nd year Cashmere and the tallest 6.5 foot.

Attachments

• 20210505_081315.jpg
    20210505_081315.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 32
  • 20210505_081324.jpg
    20210505_081324.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 32
  • 20210505_081342.jpg
    20210505_081342.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 27
  • 20210505_081354.jpg
    20210505_081354.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 27
I weeded around and pruned my hops a few days ago. I prune off all the shoots at the end of April because I don't know how to distinguish bull shoots from good ones. I also gave them some fertilizer.

PXL_20210505_142935574.jpg

My Hallertau. There is some clover around it that's really difficult to get at.

PXL_20210505_142925538.jpg

My Nugget hop crown. It looks like it's put out a rhizome on the left that I should prune off next spring. I would've taken it this year, but I transplanted it last year and want to give it a year of being left alone.

Crystal hops came back and running up the tree. Centennials are banging hard already and my cascade are not far behind em. Spring has sprung.....View attachment 728222View attachment 728223

your centennial plant looks just like mine. super aggressive plant. i believe its my Tahoma plant has side arms that grow just as fast as the main bines its a mess to keep in order.

A new setup this year at Mom-in-law's house. 3rd year Sorachi Ace in the front there, 3rd year Eroica and 1st year Southern Cross over to the right. When we were house-hunting with her a few years ago ... and I saw this patio in the back ... well, if you're in this thread, you know exactly what I was thinking. :) The second stage on top -- basically a 16' extendable pole from the hardware store, three carabiners, and a bunch more string -- is new this year, just finished that setup this morning.
20210508_123817.jpg

3rd year Zeus, on the south/southwest side of the house. This one's the producer/moneymaker -- about 6 lbs. dry weight last year. Added three new strings on the right this year.
20210508_184153.jpg

Neighbor Paul's backyard - 5th year Chinook at left and 4th-year Centennial at right (which I thought was completely dying a couple weeks ago, but perked up real well once I gave them strings to run up). We scavenged some old sections of fence to build the structure ... sags in the middle quite a bit, but whatever.
20210508_184259.jpg

8th year Columbus, on the east/southeast side of the house. Also a mega-producer, even though it loses direct sun about 12:30 every day.
20210508_184209.jpg

The tall one is the Eroica, the Centennial is behind it. Both going strong. The Cascade is in front and looking like a second-year plant. It'll get there. On the other side of the house, starting off slower are Nugget, Shaddock, and Old Mission. The Crystal is sketchy. Not sure if it is going to make year 2 or if I have to replace it with one of the multitude of Centennial offshoot rhizomes I have.

It fits, though. Almost every plant I have bought from this one nursery dies off, no matter what it is or where I put it (I got the Crystal and Nugget from them). Just a crappy seller of plants I guess. I have even sent them plants back and received replacement plants that never show life. Trees, shrubs, grapes, hops, vegetable seeds, etc., no pattern at all; just a 75%+die-off rate. Oh well.

I know its not me, because I trimmed one of my grapes last year, randomly threw a stick in the ground, and it's putting out leaves. I have a green thumb. This nursery doesn't.
IMG_9946.JPG

Well.. had a huge wind storm Friday. Spent the afternoon keeping the greenhouse together. Didn't go well.

Spent all of today fixing it. I built some braces and used neoprene screws for the panels. Luckily today was nice weather.

Attachments

• Resized_20210507_200608.jpg
    Resized_20210507_200608.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 30
A new setup this year at Mom-in-law's house. 3rd year Sorachi Ace in the front there, 3rd year Eroica and 1st year Southern Cross over to the right. When we were house-hunting with her a few years ago ... and I saw this patio in the back ... well, if you're in this thread, you know exactly what I was thinking. :) The second stage on top -- basically a 16' extendable pole from the hardware store, three carabiners, and a bunch more string -- is new this year, just finished that setup this morning.
View attachment 728621

3rd year Zeus, on the south/southwest side of the house. This one's the producer/moneymaker -- about 6 lbs. dry weight last year. Added three new strings on the right this year.
View attachment 728622

Neighbor Paul's backyard - 5th year Chinook at left and 4th-year Centennial at right (which I thought was completely dying a couple weeks ago, but perked up real well once I gave them strings to run up). We scavenged some old sections of fence to build the structure ... sags in the middle quite a bit, but whatever.
View attachment 728624

8th year Columbus, on the east/southeast side of the house. Also a mega-producer, even though it loses direct sun about 12:30 every day.
View attachment 728623
So wild. The neighbor I would love to have.

Well all the issues are sorted out. Hops are well on the way

Attachments

• 20210513_161700.jpg
    20210513_161700.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 14
  • 20210513_161714.jpg
    20210513_161714.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 13
My 3rd year post transplant cascade hops are ready to rock and roll.
51422513-1041-49C4-9A41-AC8E0CE3124E.jpeg

Some pruning along with cat, critter and child barricade was required.
8AA1F13A-FE51-4630-8562-E819E72E7EA5.jpeg

E1B38C5B-0AB4-451D-B311-C6946DBA457F.jpeg

Ready to go for the season.

I am sad that this Arcadian plant must be ripped out soon. It’s already discovered the patio post and starting to climb. It will be replaced by Prussian hops from GLH.

The little pot is part of my cascade crown I cut/dug out to keep the mother plant manageable. Giving it to a homebrewer friend. :)
ED1FEFF0-B1E8-4699-8689-2B45EF49AA31.jpeg

I am sad that this Arcadian plant must be ripped out soon. It’s already discovered the patio post and starting to climb. It will be replaced by Prussian hops from GLH.

The little pot is part of my cascade crown I cut/dug out to keep the mother plant manageable. Giving it to a homebrewer friend. :)
View attachment 729209
LOL!
both my Arcadians and Hartwhicks have done this along a lot of bines pushing through the tiny space between boards of the planter I built next to the deck.
I just had to cut out 6 more bines that were between a foot to 3 feet long growing outside the planter and under the deck.
again.
one popped out between my deck steps.
I put a couple of the cuttings with significant roots on my fence line to see if they take. will look good on the chain link if they do.
I have some fence pickets i'm going to force into the ground to cover the space between boards to stop this.

My second year hops are off to the races here in Virginia! I planted 4 plants from Great Lakes Hops last year. I got a little bit off the Chinook (the equivalent of 2 oz dried), so hoping I get some this year. From left to right, the Triple Pearl and Chinook have several bines up to the deck. The US Golding is way behind, but has a couple bines staring up the twine. The Tahoma has one bine up to the deck, and maybe a couple others in the rear. I trimmed back some bines on the Triple Pearl and Chinook, but will just let whatever grows on the others grow.

2nd Year Hops - May 2021.jpg

Back