Pets and alcohol

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If my dogs are feeling cudly and I dont want them all over me, I just put my pint glass near their nose and they are both across the room within seconds. Dog repellent :)

About to sound stupid here. You can let them eat the grains when you are done??

Sure, why not. Go look at the ingredents in a bag of dog food, the spent grains from brew day are healthy compared to that stuff...

BTW, you can make a tasty loaf of bread with some spent Carapils :)

Heck yeah. Most of 'em love it. In fact, there's quite a few recipes floating around the interwebbie for making doggie biscuits from spent grains. It appears to be really good for them too, makes their coats full and shiny, and seems to help them build muscle mass and lose fat. Chickens love 'em too......stuff is better than layer rations, especially for getting them to boost production during the winter.

<unscientific opinion>I think something in the way the mash/lauter effects the grains makes the proteins more easily absorbed and digested. </unscientific opinion>

Wow. Thanks Guys. Got a couple of dogs that will go crazy over this. Better than wasting them.

Here is my take on the whole "hops and dogs" debate: I have done a lot of reading, as well as talked to several veterinary toxicologists on this matter, and the ones who knew anything about it did not seem that distressed about it. There have been a handful of reported cases, a single published case study, and no real research into the subject. Pretty much, the best guess right now is that hops may be one of the triggers that can induce malignant hyperthermia or "Canine Stress Syndrome" (CSS) in some dogs that are genetically predisposed. There are a few known triggers out there for CSS, including some anesthetics and muscle relaxants that are commonly used in veterinary medicine.

Bottom line, yes it COULD happen, so don't go leaving hops around for Fido to get into, but you COULD also get hit by a bus next time you cross the street. If you are super worried about your pet, you can talk to your veterinarian about looking into the testing to see if your dog carries the genetic predisposition to CSS.

Kinda off topic, reim0027 - I have heard that University of Illinois is looking into using cyproheptadine instead of dantrolene for treatment of these MH cases, since more vets have cypro in their pharmacy and dantrolene is expensive. I dont have any more details than that, or why it works/think it works (I am assuming because it supposedly has some calcium channel blocking properties, but I was not sure that mechanism was confirmed for cypro... ) Just an FYI and something to keep an ear out for...

Yeah, it is a poorly understood subject. It is also fairly rare. Some dogs are more predisposed, either genetically or by having excessive muscles (the muscles flexing/trembling can raise the body temp fast). Most of the MH cases I have seen are related to Ketamine-type anesthetics (in cats) - it tells the hypothalamus to increase the core body temperature, and the body complies (and also easily treated, unlike other MH cases). Cyproheptadine has 2 unique features that are interesting - the Ca blocker feature, but also it has antiserotonin properties (for serotonin syndrome). I would like to see more studies on MH, but at least I can keep hops on my radar as possible poisons.

If Illinois publishes the article, let me know (my journals may not be the same as yours).

My 40 pound golden retriever puppy attempted to eat a hop pellet that hit the floor. I pulled it out of her mouth. Puppy will mouth on anything. A couple weeks later I found the other pellet that had dropped unmolested. Puppy must have been interested in the movement, not the taste or smell. Puppy survived with no problems. I'm wondering if there is a critical amount needed as well.

The article links above pointed to plug and whole leaf hops being the culprit more then pellet hops. I one case they extracted 250ml of hops from the dog.

The puppy is a beer hound, and tries to get the long nose into my beer whenever possible. Here I just thought she liked me.

To be completely scientific, you'll have to give one of the dogs a tasty piece of cat **** rolled in kitty litter.

Which begs the question.....how can anyone actually think an animal that will happily consume a lb of crispy kitty roca delights..........could possibly be harmed by hops?

Jeez, my dogs have been carrying around elk legs since november.....these are regulary burried, then joyfully "discovered" and knawed on several times a day. They eat 15lbs a week of spent grains, fight over whole chicken bones tossed out the back door, have completely rendered and consumed 2 skunks, a raccoon, and 4 cats in the past 6 months, and two of them have been bit by rattlesnakes. And people think I worry about them licking beer off the floor?

Please stop! Your killing me! This thread is hilarious.

Regards,
Alan

Back