Peterman grain bill

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stu4stew

Reaction score
Just watched this weeks Brew Dogs episode, and they bring back a old style of beer: Peterman.
I was interested and may try out a small batch of this low abv, dark, slightly sour, wheat beer.
I assume the grain bill would be close to a Berlinerweise , but just adding of anyone else was intrigued or knew anything more. Thanks

On a side note Brew Dogs should really put their recipes in the credits. If anything just to see how crazy they really are

I was thinking the same thing. This is the grist I came up with on the fly last night while watching the show.

Full disclosure: Multiple pints had been consumed by this point.

Pilsner Malt (45%)
Red wheat malt (45%)
Flaked wheat (9%)
Midnight wheat (1%)

I'm not sure if the midnight is needed, but they did say it was darker in color. And I wasn't sure how they got the color in their beer, because I thought it was just pilsner and flaked wheat.

Thanks to the wonderful DVR here is what I got from the episode (for their version of the beer),

50/50 Pilsner malt and Flaked Wheat
3 year old Perle hops
rose of jericho
unripe mayhaws
some mayhaw jelly (maybe some color from that as well)
NOLA house ale yeast and dregs of sour yeast from one of their sour beers...

I just watched the program. I'm confused as to what defines this new/old style.

2 weeks to sour with bottle dregs - never happened. Any sour they had in the beer probably came from the unripe fruit.

Back