Perl 525SS Leaks at bonnet

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wbeeson23

Reaction score
I just bought 2 of these faucets at farmhousebrewingsupply.com and have been having a reoccuring problem that I cannot seem to resolve. If a beer is not drawn from the facuet for several days, it will leak out of the bonnet immediately after I finish pouring a beer. The only way to get it to stop is to disassemble/reassemble the ball shaft (insert joke here). Both of them do this.

I have tried tightening the bonnet with pliers upon reassembling but this doesn't work either. I have also made sure I was assembling it per the instructions included with the faucet. All the gaskets appear to be in the proper place.

Anyone else have problems such as this? I need to order more faucets but am reluctant to order Perls at this point.

Thanks for the help.

hmmm does the perlick have a white cupped gasket & a black regular gasket? are they put together right? white cuped down black rubber on top? new gaskets needed?

No white gaskets anywhere. The product is only 3 months old so gaskets should be fine. The sealing gaskets for this area are both the same size. One sits in a seat inside the faucet housing and the other rests on top of the bearing cup.

reference #2 on this website Faucet Replacement Parts - 525 & 575 Series

thanks for the diagram. i don't use perlicks . have had similar problem if bottom white gasket wasn't seated properly...

I think it is. I inspect it everytime I have to disassemble it and make sure it's not out of seat. When I do reassemble it, it works fine until I have a span of no pulls from the tap and then go back to it.

Very strange. The fact that the leak only happens when you pour after having the faucets sit idle for a time is particularly weird.

About the only thing I could suggest is to pull the bonnets and faucet levers, remove the O-rings above and below the pivot ball, hit them with some Keg Lube, reinstall O-rings, levers and bonnets, and see if that makes any difference.

fwiw, I have six 525ss faucets I bought back in June of this year, which I assume are the current design, and have never had them leak - from anywhere...

Cheers!

If I over tighten the bonnet I get a leak, mine work best with a loose bonnet.

Great info to try, thx. I thought about using keg lube and was going to try that tonight. I was thinking about the design and if the upper ball is dry enough, it could potentially pull the oring out of the seat when moving.

I also thought that tightening the bonnet the way I was doing it was probably not going to help. Doesn't seem designed to tighten with a wrench. Cfronnes did your leak occur at the bonnet or spout? Do you use keg lube when reassembling?

Great info to try, thx. I thought about using keg lube and was going to try that tonight. I was thinking about the design and if the upper ball is dry enough, it could potentially pull the oring out of the seat when moving.

I also thought that tightening the bonnet the way I was doing it was probably not going to help. Doesn't seem designed to tighten with a wrench. Cfronnes did your leak occur at the bonnet or spout? Do you use keg lube when reassembling?

At the spout, after cleaning and reassemble. I did not use keg lube, but I like the idea.

So I disassembled both taps, sprayed the keg lube and reasembled. It is amazing the difference. It slides open and closes really easily. I can now see why people have noted that their Perl taps sometimes open up on their own if you have a heavy tap handle. The wind could literally blow the valve open at this point.

I will have to wait and see if this solves the problem but I am hoping it will.

Back