Pepsi? Thin beer, with no head retention

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrhahkey

Reaction score
What did I do? I brewed some BB Dunkelwiess, this was I think the forth time I have done this recipe. The only thing I did differently was the amount of time it stayed in the primary. I didnt have time to rack it to the sec and it stayed in for almost three weeks. Ive read alot here about that not being such a big deal though.

It still tasted good, (they always do) but its seems thin, no mouth feel and absolutely no head retention.

Any ideas?

He says it is a BB Dunkel. I'm assuming "BB" stands for "Brewers Best," and that this is therefore an extract kit.

How does the final gravity on this beer compare to the final gravities you've had previously? Also, how's your carbonation? Perhaps this batch is under carbonated.

Sounds like the problems I had with my first beer. Turns out I was just drinking it green after it had only been bottled for about 5 days.

How long has it been carbing?

Having Same Issue with my SW 420 but I'm assuming it's not done carbing yet only been 10 days or so in bottle.

its sounds like green beer to me too. you should leave the beer alone in the bottle for 3 weeks minimum. it may take longer for this batch to reach maturity. also make 100% sure that the place you keep your bottles is in the 70s F. just because the room is 75F doesn't mean that where the box is is 75F.

Give it 3 weeks in the bottle and a week in the fridge before you crack it opena nd see how it is then. Could just be undercarbed at this point.

I guess I should post a little more info. Yes its a Brewers Best kit (extract obviously) with white lab hefe yeast. I dont believe this would be considered green beer, after I racked it to the sec, it was bottled two weeks later and bottle conditioned for three weeks. If anything I would consider it to be way over carbed. But like I said there is no head retention, and it has the same mouth feel as Pepsi, so to speak.

Ferm temp was at 68 and bottle temp was around 50 (Michigan garage) for three weeks before sampling. As I said it doesnt taste bad and its color and clarity is spot on. I just wonder what I did or what could have caused the condition described as I havent run into this in the past.

Maybe Im just getting to picky.....

Ahh I guess I should post a little more info. Yes its a Brewers Best kit (extract obviously). I no I dont believe this would be considered green beer, after I racked it to the sec, it was bottled two weeks later. If anything I would consider it to be way over carbed. But like I said there is no head retention, thus the Pepsi comment.

Ferm temp was at 68 and bottle temp was around 50 for three weeks before sampling. As I said it doesnt taste at all bad and its color is spot on. I just wonder what I did or what could have caused the condition described as I havent run into this in the past.

Maybe Im just getting to picky.....

How long did you keep it in the bottle at 50 degrees? Try storing the bottles at room temp for a while and see if this changes.

Back