pectic enzyme dilemma

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

regulatedhobbyist

Reaction score
So I just realized that My melomel, with 36 oz blackberries total now (1 gallon batch), does not have pectic enzyme in it. Should I add some, or should I have done it from the beginning? What will happen if I add it now?

It won't really be needed unless you heated up the fruit. With berries you don't have to worry about it.

Cool that's good to know. I read one of your posts about freezing then thawing. I went a step further and pureed. 18 oz in primary, 18 oz in secondary. It's just a little hazy but not bad. I assume then it will clear okay?

Pectic enzyme helps with pectin hazes, but it can also help with colour and flavour extraction.

You can use it before or after fermentation. Though I notice that if you use it before its something like 1 tsp per gallon, whereas after the ferment, it'd be 2 tsp per gallon.

In this instance I'd have thought it best to leave it, when all the lees/sediment have dropped out, then if its still hazy, hit it with pectolase then.

Oh, and never puree the fruit.

The problem with making a puree of blackberries is that it tends to crack the seeds and creates excessive bitterness and astringency from the seed tannins.

Bloke, Medsen,

Thank you. I think you both have ingrained it into my head enough over the last couple weeks that I now know that I will never, ever, never, probably not ever puree my blackberries again.

I am pretty stubborn though...
head-smack.gif

Thank you though for the advice on the pectic enzyme. I'll let it clear, after it's all done. Then I'll whether I need to add the pectic enzyme.:D

Back