Pear Flavor in a Belgian Tripel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jfrostp

Reaction score
Hey all,

I'd like to brew a belgian tripel that has pear flavor in it, but I don't know how to get that flavor in there. I know you can ferment at higher temperatures to get esters in your beer for fruity flavors, but I've only ever ended up with orange and banana flavors from the esters.

My goal is a light belgian tripel with a little bit of sweetness and a smooth and subtle pear flavor.

Thanks!

If you just want pear, and don’t care about any other esters/phenols, then use Wyeast 1388 Belgian Strong Ale. I’ve used it before in a Golden Strong and it put out incredible amounts of pear and apple during fermentation.
If you want standard Triple esters/phenols and pear, then you might want to pitch a yeast blend with the 1388 and your triple yeast.
If you’ve got the setup, you could split the batch, ferment in separate fermentors and blend after fermentation to your desired level of pear in the triple.

That'll do the trick! I'm just going to do a single fermenter with the 1388 yeast. An apple + pear belgian would be pretty tasty.

Thanks CaptYesterday!

Back