Peanut Butter Pooch Cookies: Spent Grist

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zzARzz

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

Reading through the forums I saw people mention making dog cookies out of spent grist, so I thought I'd add my own recipe. My Golden Retriever went on "Crack Attack" when she tasted the first one, so they come highly recommended. This is modified from a milk bone recipe on Bullwrinkle.com (http://www.bullwrinkle.com/Assets/Recipes/Milk%20Bone%20Dog%20Biscuits.htm and I added a few extras. Enjoy!

Peanut Butter Dog Cookies

4 cups Barley, from spent grist, loosely packed
3/4 cup Warm Water
1/3 cup Peanut Butter
1/2 cup Powdered Milk
1 tbsp Fish Oil*
1 Large Egg
1 cup Corn Meal
1 cup All-Purpose Flour
* About 7 fish oil gel capsules makes 1 tbsp; can substitute with other food oils if desired.

Preheat oven to 325F. In a food processor, add 4 cups barley and 3/4 cup warm water. Puree until it forms a thick paste that holds its shape. If it’s too runny, add more barley 2 tbsp at a time and pulse until it holds together. This will make about 2-1/2 cups of barley paste.

Transfer to a stand mixer with a dough hook or mixing bowl and fold in peanut butter, powdered milk, fish oil and egg until well blended. Add 1/2 cup corn meal and knead until incorporated, then add 1/2 cup flour and knead in until incorporated as well. Repeat this until all the corn meal and flour have been used and dough is blended (it will be a mealy, thick dough that is slightly sticky).

Roll out dough on a floured surface to 1/4” thick and cut into desired shapes. Fold scraps together, flour surface and repeat until all the dough is used. Using a 1-1/4” round cutter will yield approximately 150 cookies.

Place 1/2” apart on a parchment lined pan and bake at 325F until they are hard and dry in the center, about 30-35 minutes. If a thicker, larger cookie is desired, lower temperature to 300F and cook 50-60 minutes until hard. Cool completely on rack and feed to pooch. Store in an air-tight container.

Back