Weissbier Paulaner-style Hefe Weizen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

homebrewer_99

Reaction score
Recipe Type
Extract
Yeast
WLP 351 and 3068 Bavarian Wheat
Yeast Starter
Starter is made of 2nd generation yeast. It is a mixture of WLP351 and 3068 Bavarian
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
6 days
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
kegged
Additional Fermentation
I used 45 oz of gyle for natural kreusening
Paulaner-style Hefe Weizen from CLONE BREWS, page 82

Brewer: Bill Elwell ([email protected]
Beer: Paulaner Hefe Weizen
Type: Extract w/grain
Size: 5.25 gallons

Water: 4 gals PUR filtered tap water placed in freezer for 4-5 hours prior to brewing.
Grain: 4 oz. Briess Munich Malt 6-row
Steep: Crush malt. Steep in ½ gal water at 150F for 20 mins. Sparge with 1 gal 150F water.
Boil time: 60 minutes

Malt:

1 lb. Extra Light DME
5 lb. Wheat DME

Hops: .5 oz (½ oz.) Hallertau Hersbrucker (6% AA) for 60 mins = 3%AA

Yeast: Starter is made of 2nd generation yeast. It is a mixture of WLP351 and 3068 Bavarian Weizen yeast and 1 baby food jar of WLP351.

Log: BREW DATE: 5 May 07

Bring steeped malt to a boil then remove from flame.

Add hops and 1 lb XL DME and dissolve. Boil for 45 mins. Remove from flame.

Add remaining malt 1 lb at a time and dissolve.

Return pot to flame and boil 15 mins. Remove from heat.

Sparge hops through net on primary. Top off to 5.25 gals with freezer water. Stir in.

TEMP: 70F (Strip) / 68F (Therm)
OG: 1.049
FG: 1.010

Potential alcohol: 3.990% ABW / 4.988% ABV

NOTE: I removed 45 oz of gyle from the wort and placed in 2 mason jars in the fridge for kraeusening at kegging time.

8 May 07: Temp: 77F / Gravity: 1.012

10 May 07: Temp: 77F / Gravity: 1.010 Definitely sweeter than the last batches. Very nice though. Still a bit of the sulfuric smell. I’ll probably keg this weekend. Don’t forget to warm the gyle up to room temp.

Carbonation:

11 May 07: Kegged. I added the 2 mason jars of gyle in the keg then racked on top of it. Topped gas off to 25 psi.

17 May 07: Sampled and re-topped off to 25 psi. I placed the keg in the fridge to get cold (40F). I’ll put gas on it (25 psi) for the next few days to carbonate.

Tasting:

17 May 07: Sampled keg. Beer is definitely on the sweet side in a nice way.

NOTE: I upped the hops on the next batch slightly by.05 oz to .55 oz instead of .5 oz.

19 May 07: The keg’s been on 25 psi for 2 days now. There is a small head, but not much carbonation. Sampled from the keg. Tastes VERY good. On the sweet side of delicious. Gassed up to 25 psi again.

5 Jun 07: Me and Dan killed this keg in 1 day. It was so tasty. I find it comparable to a Julius Echter HW from Nurnberg and the sweetness close to a Roth HW from Schweinfurt. I definitely will have to make more.

EDIT: The .5 oz of hops used in this recipe tastes better than the .55 oz used in 2 subsequent batches. Keep it at .5 oz in future batches. There’s nothing wrong with the batches using .05 more hops, they are just (slightly) more bitter.

I am not clear as to what sparging means. I saw that this recipe was labeled as Extract, but I thought sparging was a AG term/technique.

I searched the forum for a clear-cut answer to what this means but didn't seem to fine one that was clear enough for me.

I appreciate any clarification you might provide.

Cheers!

I just brewed a batch of this tonight, everything went well it seemed. It smelled great and tasted good too. Here are some pictures.

Boiling:

Strainer with Grain Bag Set Up On Primary:

Pouring Into Primary:

Yeast Pitched:

Can't wait to bottle and carb this one. Thanks for the recipe.

Well I tried two nights ago, it wasn't terrible but tasted a bit off. I haven't had a Paulaner in about a year so it's hard for me to tell if it's the same, I have to go find some. I'm hoping another week or two of conditioning will help this beer out.

This has been my go to beer for the masses. Everyone loves it, it's easy, and it is ready fast. I'm in the middle of brewing my 4th batch of it. So far due to availability I've used an unknown variety of hallertau (not sure which) mt hood, and also hersbrucker. Since it is only used at bittering there really hasn't been a noteworthy difference between any of them. I'm a bit bummed this time around though that my hersbrucker is only 2.4%AA. Anyhow, thanks again for posting this recipe, it's a winner!

I love wheat beer! I bought all the ingredients. I'm a little bit confused on how much to boil.

Steep: Crush malt. Steep in ½ gal water at 150F for 20 mins. Sparge with 1 gal 150F water. <--- 1.5 gallon at this point

Boil time: 60 minutes

Bring steeped malt to a boil then remove from flame. <--- Still 1.5 gallon?

Add hops and 1 lb XL DME and dissolve. Boil for 45 mins. <--- Still 1.5 gallon or add more water?

Remove from flame.

Add remaining malt 1 lb at a time and dissolve.

Return pot to flame and boil 15 mins. Remove from heat. <--- How much here? Will this boil down a lot after 45 minutes.

Sparge hops through net on primary. Top off to 5.25 gals with freezer water. Stir in.

I want to get this correct. I get tired of pouring out bad beer. :)

I made a batch based around your recipe, and I have to say it's terrific. Here are a couple shots of a glass at three weeks of bottle conditioning:

imga0088oh7.jpg

imga0089ro2.jpg

This sounds TASTY!

I am playing with the calculators, trying to up the grain a bit:

2.00lb Munich Light Malt
3.00lb Wheat Malt
2.50lb Wheat Dry Malt Extract
1.00lb Light Dry Malt Extract

Assuming 70% efficiency, that should come out to about 5.3% ABV, so I might cut the extract a tad.

Sound about right?

This sounds TASTY!

I am playing with the calculators, trying to up the grain a bit:

2.00lb Munich Light Malt
3.00lb Wheat Malt
2.50lb Wheat Dry Malt Extract
1.00lb Light Dry Malt Extract

Assuming 70% efficiency, that should come out to about 5.3% ABV, so I might cut the extract a tad.

Sound about right?
That's just at 6.5 lbs of DME...shoulf be only 6 lbs.

I poured 2 glasses of this last night. SUPERB! Right amount of sweetness and just enough bitterness and lots of flavor. It's also nice and yellow. This is a keeper.

I brewed per instructions. I used an ouce of hops though. Fermentation was violent. I won't use a bucket next time. I'll use a 6.5 glass carboy and a blowoff tube. I'll pour a glass tonight and get a picture posted. Tasty!

"Hops: .5 oz (½ oz.) Hallertau Hersbrucker (6% AA) for 60 mins = 3%AA"

I have 3% Hersbrucker. Is .5 oz of 3% Hersbrucker ok, or should I adjust it up a few ounces? I don't understand the above quote from the original post as it pertains to Alpha Acid. Maybe just an equation or any advice would be very appreciated.

I went with 1 oz of of 3% Hersbrucker. I had a total boil over (while drinking the real paulaner), and probably completely aerated the wort while trying to dissolve wheat DME, (I'm thinking a whisk was a bad idea{while drinking the real paulaner}).

We'll see how it finishes...if it smells like beer and doesn't make me gag, I'll be happy.

:mug:

I was looking at one of the clone books (don't remember which one). They had what looked like this recipe, but it called for Wyeast 3056, so I ordered a pack.

That will be brewed up soon, I will report back later on how it came out.

"Hops: .5 oz (½ oz.) Hallertau Hersbrucker (6% AA) for 60 mins = 3%AA"

I have 3% Hersbrucker. Is .5 oz of 3% Hersbrucker ok, or should I adjust it up a few ounces? I don't understand the above quote from the original post as it pertains to Alpha Acid. Maybe just an equation or any advice would be very appreciated.
With 3% Hersbrucker you should go with 1 oz. not .5 oz. I was saying to use 3%. ;)

I was looking at one of the clone books (don't remember which one). They had what looked like this recipe, but it called for Wyeast 3056, so I ordered a pack.

That will be brewed up soon, I will report back later on how it came out.

As long as you are using a real German HW yeast it'll come out good.

I brewed a batch up on Saturday. I'll let you know how it turns out. Right now it's stinking my dining room up to high hell. I guess that's a good sign. It's sitting next to an American Ale as well so I'm sure that doesn't help the gas situation.

This is my fifth batch of homebrew, so how long should I leave this in the primary? I was planning on transferring to the bottling bucket after ten days and letting it sit for another 7-10 to clear the beer up some. Does that sound like a good idea? I'm not sure what to do since this is a hefeweizen. I have yet to purchase kegging equipment. =)

Is this the right type of grain to use for this recipe? I'm not too sure which it is.

Austin Homebrew Supply

Also I see I can get both Hallertau and Hersbrucker hop pellets. Which are needed for this recipe? Thanks!

Is this the right type of grain to use for this recipe? I'm not too sure which it is.

Austin Homebrew Supply

Also I see I can get both Hallertau and Hersbrucker hop pellets. Which are needed for this recipe? Thanks!
It really doesn't matter if you use any grain or not.

Either hop will work. Just make sure you get an real German HW yeast.

I brewed a batch up on Saturday. I'll let you know how it turns out. Right now it's stinking my dining room up to high hell. I guess that's a good sign. It's sitting next to an American Ale as well so I'm sure that doesn't help the gas situation.

This is my fifth batch of homebrew, so how long should I leave this in the primary? I was planning on transferring to the bottling bucket after ten days and letting it sit for another 7-10 to clear the beer up some. Does that sound like a good idea? I'm not sure what to do since this is a hefeweizen. I have yet to purchase kegging equipment. =)
I never rack to a secondary until the gravity has dropped 75%. Counting the days doesn't help.

I do do a secondary to clear up some of the excess yeast and add just a little back into the bottling bucket/keg to keep it cloudy. If your checked out the yeast content from a bottle of real HW you will see that there is very little yeast in there. No need to overdo it for HB.

I kegged this recipe over the weekend (first kegged batch...Yay!). It is tasty and definitely very similar to Paulaner. It was a relatively quick/violent fermentation, but I did not take gravity readings, or really any good notes (I'm useless).
I did not rack to a secondary, but I kinda wished I did whenever I moved the carboy and bits of dried krausen and yeast junk got washed into the beer. I started with a blow-off tube on a 6 gallon carboy but after 20 hours it was only a moderate amount of activity and decided to switch to an airlock. Mistake. About an hour later there was a volcano of beer erupting out of the airlock. It was fun to watch but also made a mess. Switched back to the blow off tube (I used the biggest tubing my LHBS had stuffed into the top, 1 inch? can't remember exactly) until the fermentation slowed. Fermentation temp was around 73-75 but the fermometer was showing closer to 80+.

I've already bought ingredients to brew this again soon but am going to try dried wheat yeast (safale brand?) to compare to the liquid yeast. With a boilover, high ferment temps, no secondary and still good/great results, I'm looking forward to batch #2:mug:

I had racked it into a primary w/o a spout so I siphoned into the bottling bucket. The top was super clean when I popped it off and the beer was a lot cleaner than I thought it would be. I bottled it 4 days ago and it is looking good as can be. Can't wait to try this one!

Notable mentionings: I kept this one cookin' in the primary at a steady 74* the whole time. Now it's carbing at 71-72*. Batch yield of 50 beers with slight spillage on my part.

It should be almost ready to drink by next weekend.

I recommend placing 2 botles in the freezer for about 30 mins before trying one. The second one should taste better.

If the head and carbonation are good enough for you then place all the bottles in the fridge for a day or two. I know it sounds like a long wait, but the extra time in the cold really improves the brew.

I kegged this recipe over the weekend (first kegged batch...Yay!). It is tasty and definitely very similar to Paulaner. It was a relatively quick/violent fermentation, but I did not take gravity readings, or really any good notes (I'm useless).
I did not rack to a secondary, but I kinda wished I did whenever I moved the carboy and bits of dried krausen and yeast junk got washed into the beer. I started with a blow-off tube on a 6 gallon carboy but after 20 hours it was only a moderate amount of activity and decided to switch to an airlock. Mistake. About an hour later there was a volcano of beer erupting out of the airlock. It was fun to watch but also made a mess. Switched back to the blow off tube (I used the biggest tubing my LHBS had stuffed into the top, 1 inch? can't remember exactly) until the fermentation slowed. Fermentation temp was around 73-75 but the fermometer was showing closer to 80+.

I've already bought ingredients to brew this again soon but am going to try dried wheat yeast (safale brand?) to compare to the liquid yeast. With a boilover, high ferment temps, no secondary and still good/great results, I'm looking forward to batch #2:mug:
Sounds like you had too much fun...:rockin:

It should be almost ready to drink by next weekend.

I recommend placing 2 botles in the freezer for about 30 mins before trying one. The second one should taste batter.

If the head and carbonation are good enough for you then place all the bottles in the fridge for a day or two. I know it sounds like a long wait, but the extra time in the cold really improves the brew.

I'll put a couple in the freezer when I get off of work today and test them out. If they're as good as they look, I'll be tossing them all in the fridge!
:mug:
This is my first homebrew'd hefeweizen, do you put the bottle in the bottom of the glass and slowly pull it out as with others, or does the little bit of trub give off-flavors?

Great beer.

I will re-brew this. I messed up on the carbonation level though! I put 7.2 oz of priming sugar (corn sugar) when I should have put 9 oz in. So it's a little flat for a Hefe', but it is a great recipe. I may actually brew another batch this weekend along with a Dunk.

Everything else was spot on. Color, aroma, taste, etc.

Kipis Bill! Great tasting recipe! I highly recommend!

~juice~

Mine has been bottled for several months now and the harsh off-flavor seems to have mellowed out. I'm enjoying one right now :)

Back