Patagonia Perla Negra (Black Pearl) 340L

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

odie

Reaction score
What is this? Roasted barley? or black barley?

I was doing my RIS with maple and I discovered I had ran out of roasted barley 300L that it calls for and didn't want to sub with black malt 500+ that I had on hand.

I ran down to the LHBS and all the types/brands of roasted barley they had was 500+. I found this malt brand I had never heard of but it was in the loviblond range I was looking for. But the package does not state "roasted barley". It says "roasted malt" and with "black/negra" on the label makes me think this might be a "black malt" but it's not as dark as my "Black Patent" and "Black Barley" stuff I have on hand.

Attachments

• IMG_0344.JPG
    IMG_0344.JPG
    308.1 KB · Views: 7
What is this? Roasted barley? or black barley?

I was doing my RIS with maple and I discovered I had ran out of roasted barley 300L that it calls for and didn't want to sub with black malt 500+ that I had on hand.

I ran down to the LHBS and all the types/brands of roasted barley they had was 500+. I found this malt brand I had never heard of but it was in the loviblond range I was looking for. But the package does not state "roasted barley". It says "roasted malt" and with "black/negra" on the label makes me think this might be a "black malt" but it's not as dark as my "Black Patent" and "Black Barley" stuff I have on hand.
It's roasted malt. Huskless, very interesting. Adds toasted flavours, without the bitterness. Something like special carafa.
Black Pearl it's only the traduction of the original name.

"Roasted barley" is un-malted grain. "Black malt" is malted grain. But this says "roasted malt" so which is it? malted or un-malted? the label does not say. I can't access the Patagonia website either. BSG website says nothing specific either.

I suspect it's more of a "roasted barley" than a "black malt" type grain given that it's 300s range.

"Roasted barley" is un-malted grain. "Black malt" is malted grain. But this says "roasted malt" so which is it? malted or un-malted? the label does not say. I can't access the Patagonia website either. BSG website says nothing specific either.

I suspect it's more of a "roasted barley" than a "black malt" type grain given that it's 300s range.
It's malted grain.

Check out. Black Pearl

Anyway, there is a exbeerment that shows no perceptible difference between roasted barley and roasted (black) malt. Just the mash pH, that's lower for the second one.
So the definition doesn't seems something to worry about.

Briess Roasted Barley is unmalted. But so is their Black Barley.

Briess Black and Black Prinz malt I suspect is malted as they do not specifically state "unmalted".

Is unmalted roasted barley something only Briess and Weyermann do?

Does the term "barley" imply "unmalted" when used to label a grain as opposed to the term "malt" only for malted grains?

Back