Pasteurizing whole soda keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snowman_fs

Reaction score
I'm going through some cider making ideas and I am wondering if anyone has used a keggle to pasteurize a full 5gal soda keg. Similar to the stove top method and bottles, just up sized.

I can think of lots of benefits but naturally I'm sceptical when it seems so good.

I have not formed the full plan yet for time, temp, volume etc. But that all seams like some simple thermo calcs. With my eKeggle and PID I would choose a pseudo strike temp based on the temp of cider to volume ratios. Then let the PID take over to maintain the pasteurization temp until I'm convinced it's complete.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Home Brew mobile app

Wouldn't potassium sorbate be a much simpler solution since you have the ability to force carb? I assume if you have a keggle and a PID, you have the ability to carb... Or is your method to keep from adding additional chems?

EDIT:...I realized what I wrote after I hit save...I assume you are wanting to backsweeten this and in which case Potassium sorbate won't kill off the yeast, just keep it from reproducing.

It's not really necessary to pasteurize a keg it you have it in a fridge. I recently kegged another batch of cider and added 4 cans of frozen apple juice to it, stuck it in the fridge and there has been zero additional fermentation.

How am I sure? Two days later, I added 5lbs of CO2 to tap it and the CO2 was all absorbed into the cider by the next day when I went to drink some more.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Yup. I've backsweetened a dozen + batches and have had some in the keezer for a month at 36-38 degrees without any additional fermentation.

Its one of the appeals of kegging IMO.

Back