Party keg Guinness - Dispensing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheFlyingSparge

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Ok, long time brewer here. My brother-in-law just got back from Iraq. We're celebrating. Guinness is his favorite. I'm surprising him with a keg.

What's the best dispensing method without buying a nitro system? I'm open to any and all ideas. Anyone use a pump tap with Guinness? Does it work? I'm not seeing any "U" coupler pumps online which concerns me.

Ironically, I have an abundance of extra CO2 dispensing parts but nothing for nitro beer.

I've not tried this, but I would think that you could just use CO2 at low pressure - maybe 3-4 PSI - the point of beer gas is that the nitrogen doesn't overcarb the beer at typical bar serving pressure, where you need a decent pressure to serve through a bar tap system at a high enough rate. With a party tap and a few feet of hose, you can use lower pressure.

A little CO2 pressure won't over carb the keg in a few days (particularly if you vent almost to atmospheric between sessions). You probably won't get a "nitro" style pour without a stout tap, although party taps tend to foam if you half shut them anyway.

You do need the higher pressure and low carbonation with a stout faucet to get a proper nitro pour. However, you can serve at normal co2 pressures with a standard faucet or picnic tap like you would any other non-nitro beers. The Guinness will probably come with low carbonation, so it might taste a little different without the creamy head, but should be fine.

Latest posts

Back