Partial mash calculation questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JayberQue

Reaction score
Okay so i am getting ready to brew a partial mash/batch sparge dunkleweizen. The recipe isn't exactly essential to my question so i will skip it. But it will have 6 pounds of grain and 3 pounds of extract. This is going to be a six gallon batch.

When i am trying to add this recipe to beersmith 2 it is telling me to mash the grains and batch sparge 3 steps to achieve the entire boil volume of 7.13 gallons of wort and then add the extract. Essentially it is telling me to make 7 gallons of 1.026 wort and add the extract to that

Would it be better to mash the grains and collect 5.05 gallons of wort (approx 1.038), being the 2/3rds of the grain bill and pre-boil volume and then add the rest of the water and the extract to the boil kettle?

The main concern with oversparging like that would be the extraction of tannins. With batch sparging you have a bit more leeway, but that still seems like a lot to me. Personally I would just do a single batch sparge and collect what would be a more normal volume for that grainbill, say about 3 qts per lb total mash + sparge.

thats what i was thinking... i am just going to do the mash/batch sparge based on the grain bill and add the rest of the water and extract to what i collect for that to get to volume/og. You would think beer smith would have a way to separate the partial mash portion from the total boil volume.

If your temperature is below 170°F and pH is below 6 you shouldn't have a problem with tannin extraction. Doing three sparges will increase your efficiency, but take a little more time.

Back